Close

Thread: 1985 seats

Default 1985 seats

How do you fix the seat back from going forward. Does not lock in place by the seat back lever. It's passenger seat. Thanks! Fran

Quote Originally Posted by mustangnut View Post
    How do you fix the seat back from going forward. Does not lock in place by the seat back lever. It's passenger seat. Thanks! Fran
    I may stand corrected but I don’t believe the seats click in place other than going backwards.

Does your drivers seat lock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes, driver seat does lock in place.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangnut View Post
    yes, driver seat does lock in place.
    Sorry, I can’t be of any help. I even went out to my garage and pulled on my driver’s seat. It moves freely forward. I don’t remember having an 85 that locked.

Maybe someone else will chime in.

Just my .02, if that’s your only issue with the car. You’re way ahead of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pass Seat Belt - this is what I did when I auto-x'd my SVO....
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

The lever on the back of a 1985 was only for when you got in an accident and the inertia switch locked. That would release it. The seat is never "locked" when the car is just sitting. You should be able to pull both front seat backs forward if the car is stationary. It was not until 1990 that the seats were actually "locked" and you had to use the lever to move the seat back. In 1985 they had what Ford termed an "inertia switch" inside the mechanism. It was supposed to only act during a very hard deceleration or a crash. If either seat back (is original) and is locked it is because the inertia switch is jammed or broken. Up until 1990 they moved freely.
    Last edited by homer302; 08-28-2018 at 07:56 PM.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    The lever on the back of a 1985 was only for when you got in an accident and the inertia switch locked. That would release it. The seat is never "locked" when the car is just sitting. You should be able to pull both front seat backs forward if the car is stationary. It was not until 1990 that the seats were actually "locked" and you had to use the lever to move the seat back. In 1985 they had what Ford termed an "inertia switch" inside the mechanism. It was supposed to only act during a very hard deceleration or a crash. If either seat back (is original) and is locked it is because the inertia switch is jammed or broken. Up until 1990 they moved freely.
    That is correct. I noticed it on my 92 this weekend.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Thanks everybody, now i know! Fran