Close

Default 1983 Convertible Door Speakers

I have a 1983 GLX vert with premium sound and roll up windows. Looking for a good bolt in replacement speaker for the door speakers. Appears to be a 1983 only item. Placed at the back of the door.

Very early 1984 convertible with premium sound also had speaker in doors.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Pulled out the door speakers - the mounting (bolt) circle is 5 1/2" - the cone is 4 3/4" - and the mounting depth is 2 1/2". So it would appear that almost any 5 1/4" speaker will work.
    Last edited by caper; 09-08-2018 at 05:03 PM.

Infinity 5 1/4" speakers are a bolt in replacement. Beware the weird ford wiring of the speakers for the premium sound system in the 1983 vert. Ford combined the speaker grounds for the left F and R and for the right F and R. These grounds must be separated for any conventional stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Very early 1984 convertible with premium sound also had speaker in doors.
    I have an 84 LX vert and mine did not come with stock door speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by fgross2006 View Post
    I have an 84 LX vert and mine did not come with stock door speakers.
    Is it a "very early" 1984?

After the 1984 model started the rear speakers moved from the bottom/rear corner of the doors (with speaker grills) to behind the rear quarter trim panels (without speaker grills). I don't know exactly when the switch-over was but it was way before the fog lamp addition, and rear spoiler, rear suspension, and interior trim changes.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Would be interesting to see exact specs of where they were put over the years just for posterity’s sake. We know and remember a lot more than we document. Say someone with new replacement panels wants to locate where they go that info is good to have. Just my thoughts.