Close

Default Touching up Yellowed, Deteriorated Bumpers

Looking for some pointers, products or the step by step to prepping my yellowed and slightly deteriorated bumpers. Front and rear tops of bumpers are a bit soft from deterioration but not as bad as some I've seen. This is no show car, I just want black instead of yellow and I, of course want it to last.
    Sorry for the lousy pic.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Can't help with the deterioration aspect, but DupliColor Bumper Trim Black (I believe it is #TB101) is a great match to the trim on the 82-84 cars. I pulled a bumper off a couple years ago from an 84 GT to fix a hole in the trim, and sanded (400gr) the trim down and sprayed with the Duplicolor and was very happy with the results.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Thanks op for the topic and Jason for the paint info. I also need to restore the bumpers on my car. I have a couple of divots to fill it. What does eveone recommend to fill them in. Some kind of plastic weld?
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/lor...BoCBXMQAvD_BwE

Lord Fusor 152 is an excellent product for this type of repair. Unfortunately it is best dispensed with their gun, so that adds to the cost for someone that doesn't really need/want the gun. The product can be forced out of the cartridge manually and mixed, but is not ideal. This product also recommends their adhesion promoter/surface modifier 602 https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/lor...z-p-15950.aspx

The products above are what I would consider "Professional Grade" for repairs. The product works well and should provide a long term repair, but obviously the initial costs are bit higher, so be forewarned. The large tube will most likely be enough to repair most if not all of the front bumper depending on condition. This is the exact product that will be used for the same type of repairs on my 82 RS once I get to that point.

Evercoat Poly Flex https://www.autorefinishsupply.com/P...BoCknoQAvD_BwE is another fine product to use. Although I would say this is more for minor cosmetic repairs. It does work well, and stick well, but is not an adhesive such as the 152, so it might have more of a chance of coming off at a later date due to impact or other issues. I use the Poly Flex for minor filling and imperfects just like a glaze coat for normal body work, so it is a good product and works great, but I would still recommend the 152 for the majority of the repairs and the Poly Flex for the minor pinholes, imperfections, etc.

Once the major repairs are done, then a quality medium-high build primer will be needed to help fill those tiny imperfections and allow you to sand everything smooth and unnoticeable before final paint. Make sure your primer is designed for flexible/plastic parts and you should be good to go! Hope that helps and good luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I had a quarter sized hole in the bumper trim that I filled with the bumper repair kit you can find at Autozone, along with some mesh/screen glued to the backside. Its one of those dual tube dispenser kits that you mix together and spread. Then as mentioned above I primed and sanded before using the Duplicolor paint.

I think that bumper repair kit would work fine for the divots described above?
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

I'm not positive whether a product like polyflex is for my concern or the bumper hole. My only goal is to have black instead of yellow and not have it come off. Sand smooth, prime, paint? Polyflex if I'm feeling like stepping it up a bit?

Scroll down to post #384 to see what I did with my lower valance. This product (Dynatron flexible bumper repair kit, Napa: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MMM660) can be used for either repair or filling (my lower valance needed both). But the under material (bumper cover) needs to be sanded down with ~120 or 150 grit in order for the product to get a good bite. Once cured, it sands easily (start with 150 then step up to 220 grit before primer).

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...T-Tops)/page16

Also - if the yellow urethane material is dry, you need to sand until the dry layer is gone. It will likely take several applications to get a good result. Be patient and take your time....
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C