Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Man what a car! I love the canyon red with the charcoal lower. And T Top!!!! Congrats.

So they said it has a bit of a cam, eh? Don’t they all.... lol

If you want to know — Pop a valve cover and measure the pushrod range of motion then look at the rocker and multiple by its stock rocker ratio of 1.6. If you get more than 0.444 its an aftermarket cam as the lift is higher

Stock cam generates 0.2775 pushrod movement and 0.444 lift through a 1.6:1 rocker.

One way to “add a little cam” and get an Instant performance improvement without a cam swap is to go to a 1.7:1 rocker as it yields a little more duration above 0.050 lift and total lift goes up to 0.47175 with a stock cam (which is proven to be plenty with decent heads, exhaust, and induction to make over 400 at the crank BTW, put the letter cams in the trash.....)

I bought a Flowtech custom cam for my Edelbrock head and intake 331. Been having shortblock headaches so haven’t gotten to run it yet but lots of other guys here have had incredible luck with the Flowtech design combo specific cams.

Enough on that....

This is a very fine example of a Capri. If I owned it I’d keep it exactly how it is once the cats are back in place. Or maybe sometime down the road put it back to its factory colors.

Very nice car sir. That's exactly what I am currently looking for. Mine was equipped with no AC , the bright red with grey lower body and front end. It shouldn't run that rich with the cats off, mine would pass the smog idle test without them.

The carb might need rebuilding if original to the car. Look for vacuum leaks, blown power valve, or other issues causing excess HC and CO. Vacuum leaks create a lean condition necessitating mixture to be excessively richened to compensate. On my car, the large manifold vacuum line running under the throttle level at the intake was sucked in and rotted. It would fine, (but not down past 750 rpm) with the mixture rich, but burned your eyes when I took the cats off. Someone richened up the mix to compensate for the vacuum leak.

Once the leak was rooted out, the car ran far better, had great gas mileage, and didn't burn your eyes when in close proximity. Proper/new plugs, and ignition components, setting timing to specs all made a big change in drivability.

Just one simple, descriptive word......

J.E.A.L.O.U.S.!!!!!!!!!!
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Rebuilt the carbs, fixed several vacuum leaks and replaced all the consumable parts. So far she is running alot better and I have been able to get 20 mpg around town. It still smells just not as bad as she used to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12