Close

Default School me on Springs

I’m accumulating parts for winter updates and upgrades and it’s time for springs.
    I know nothing about springs other than how to install them.

The car needs front control arm bushings so I’ll replace the complete control arms with ones from rockauto, good time to replace springs while it’s apart.

This car has always sat high, higher than an of the other 8 fox mustangs I’ve owned or parted out.

To the best of my knowledge it has the original 1983 v6 Convertible springs.
    With 216/65r15s and a v8 it it’s high and there’s a 2”+ gap at the top of the wheel.

The ride is a little soft so I wouldn’t mind firming it up a little but I don’t want to make it uncomfortable and I don’t want to be so low I can’t enter my driveway.

Cost is always a consideration but I don’t mind paying up for quality.

What have you had success with and what should I avoid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Entering the driveway.

A lot of owners lower daily driver cars for looks and/or have long tube headers, etc.
    Forget or dismiss checking ground clearance or even know how much is needed.
    Wait till they pull into a gas station, especially at night, and drive over underground tank fill humps
    Or parking lot, side street, speed bumps.
    Hope they have skid plates under the car. I now avoid those hazards with a wide berth.
    How i know:
    Muffler snagged a station hump while cruising one night in the 80's with passengers in car, stock suspension.
    Got it fixed but ruined the night for me. Loud. Ruined playing the radio or conversation.
    Wondering if a new Ford SVO single pipe/dual tip cat back exh assy, bought from the dealer, may be seriously damaged.
    Found out later it was ok, but the front down pipe from the turbocharger was not.
    The hump was higher than normal. Station would not pay for anything.
    Lucky was not worse. Still haunts to this day.