Close

Default 2000 Mustang 3.8 and Trans Swap into 86 V-6 Mustang

So I'm perusing CL and there is an ad for a running 3.8 and transmission for sale for a relatively small amount of money. Gets my mind to wondering on how much of an ass pain would it be to do this swap? I'm assuming the engine should fit with no issues and both are autos so I'm thinking that won't be much of an issue either. I think the main problem would be with the wiring and computer. Definitely not my forte but I'm not afraid to learn.

Then I get to thinking that it would be almost the same amount of pain and time swapping out to a v-8 and t-5. Has anyone done this and if so, can you direct me to link or tell me issues. Thanks in advance.

I gutted a 94 by into my 79. You definitely need the whole car to pull wiring and pcm and all the un named bits and pieces from. Then you get to splice all that into your wiring... not for the faint of heart. My opinion look for a 94 95 gt. 302 5 speed 8.8 5 lug all the bits and pirces to make it happen. I spent 900 on mine. You cant do better at the u pull it, piece by piece. You will however, need a aproving wife

I think it would be worth it just for parts. Update the whole car with newer and better stuff.

I used a 2001 v-6 t5 behind my 302, so even if you are thinking of going 5.0, its a transmission that will bolt up and work.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Thanks for the replies.

I'm doing this over the winter (hopefully...I don't have a reliable space to work in).
    I've got a 1999 3.8/T5 Mustang that I drove until it needed more work than it was worth, but it's mostly rust and interior issues (leaky convertible top with no place to store it during New England winters). The drivetrain is perfect and the chassis has lots of goodies that will directly swap to the Zephyr.

My route is going to be: swap entire K-Member and wire harness, engine, transmission. Splice the Zephyr interior dash and exterior lighting to the 1999 wire harness. Might put the Fox control arms back in if I have clearance issues. I already have Cobra brakes in the Zephyr; and that's another thing you'll get if you buy the 2000: 5-lugs, bigger brakes, and a big pile of mostly-compatible upgrade parts. I bet the 2000 3.8 hp and torque are much closer to the 1986 5.0 specs.

Technical problems I've found thus far have mainly been related to the computer. A custom tuner will be needed to turn of the anti-theft, unless you put the 2000 steering column and other electronics modules in your car. I already had the tuner (an SCT X-3) for the mods done to my 1999, so for me that's a no-brainer; but if I didn't have those it would add some cost to the swap. Again, you could carefully transfer over all the electronics and steering column/key components if you buy the whole car; I might do that just because I have them anyway.
    Oh, and the stock 2000 fuel system is a returnless style, you could transfer the whole tank and module (that's my plan) or have the tuner set to allow your 1980s fuel pump to work (return style system with fuel pressure regulator).

EDIT: If you can't get the whole car (or at least the computer and wire harness) it's going to be a huge hassle. :/

EDIT 2: I just caught that you're looking at an automatic. The computer controls it, and the shift linkage is probably different, so you may want to get the shifter parts from the 2000. I don't think that's a huge deal to swap but it's something to keep in mind. On that thought, I converted a friend's 2002 3.8/Auto to T5 and it did require getting her computer tuned, so if you're good with buying a tuner from the beginning, you have many options and I can give you some names for tuners and tuning.
    Last edited by Greywolf; 09-08-2018 at 12:58 PM.

^^^Thanks for the reply. Good luck with your project!

Horsepower numbers might be close but torque numbers are nowhere even close to the same. A 5.0L will flat blow the doors off of a 3.8L because of that.

My MarkLT has a hypertech tuned 5.4L which puts out 365HP and 405 lbs of torque in a 6000 lb truck. The F250 supercab we use for pulling weighs 7500. It has a 7.5L which puts out a whopping 245HP. But before you LOL, it’s turned up a bit on timing and cranks out around 500 lbs of torque with 85% of that by 1650 RPM

Guess which truck will drag the other one down the road sideways when they are both set on kill. Yep - you guessed it — the 1996. And it won’t even waste a downshift pulling the hills between Nebraska and central Missouri with a Four Eyed Fox in tow. Meanwhile the LT downshifted our of OD on about every hill just towing an empty trailer.....

So anyway - don’t get your hopes up on the V6 being a powerhouse.

With the price for the parts being right and it does make sense

There are always turbo kits...... lol
    Last edited by erratic50; 09-10-2018 at 11:02 PM.

You can get a fuel rail off a 99 E150
    it is the same fuel rail as the 99-04 mustang v6 split port motor but it is set up for a return style fuel system.

I am am debating putting in a 97 v6 and 4r70 into a 86 lx vert only because I am putting a 3.8 and t5 out of an 04 into my 97 vert.
    The 94-98 v6 is same motor setup as the super coupes and would be a lot easier to attach a supercharger to.

Supercharged it would be a fun ride.

Could always grab an eco boost turbo setup off the newer 3.5’s and adapt it since there’s just about no lag. Do a blow through setup, etc. would be fun to make work!

love junkyard boost! I’ve seen a John Deere 4440 turbo on a V8 Fox before. Was a laugh per minute— huge power.

I’d go 5 or 6 speed but that’s just my preference on trans. If you have the auto again it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Horsepower numbers might be close but torque numbers are nowhere even close to the same. A 5.0L will flat blow the doors off of a 3.8L because of that.

My MarkLT has a hypertech tuned 5.4L which puts out 365HP and 405 lbs of torque in a 6000 lb truck. The F250 supercab we use for pulling weighs 7500. It has a 7.5L which puts out a whopping 245HP. But before you LOL, it’s turned up a bit on timing and cranks out around 500 lbs of torque with 85% of that by 1650 RPM

Guess which truck will drag the other one down the road sideways when they are both set on kill. Yep - you guessed it — the 1996. And it won’t even waste a downshift pulling the hills between Nebraska and central Missouri with a Four Eyed Fox in tow. Meanwhile the LT downshifted our of OD on about every hill just towing an empty trailer.....

So anyway - don’t get your hopes up on the V6 being a powerhouse.

With the price for the parts being right and it does make sense

There are always turbo kits...... lol

No argument from me, but "closer to" meaning:
    1986 3.8 was 120hp/205 ft-lb
    1986 5.0 was 200hp/265 ft-lb
    2000 3.8 was 193hp/225 ft-lb
    So, I was wrong about the torque, it's still closer to 1986 numbers.
    I had a 1998 3.8 Mustang and then a 1999 3.8 (first year of split-port engine).
    1998 was 150hp/215t ft-lb
    1999 was 190hp/215 ft-lb
    The 1999 was a convertible, the 1998 was a coupe. The 1999 was quicker, felt much faster, felt more powerful. Both were on 3.27 rear axle (swapped '98 from 2.73).

Will the stock 3.8 beat a stock 5.0? Probably not almost any year versus any year (possibly the late 3.8 vs the 79-82 5.0?).
    But the 3.8 from 1999-2004 wasn't exactly a dog of a motor.

Honestly, though, I'm doing this because I haven't driven the Zephyr since I bought the rolling chassis in 2008, the Mustang is past being driveable, they're both in my storage and I need to keep the Zephyr warm until I have a garage and can drop in the Coyote I've been wanting to get to for a decade.

If I were to do the swap, after adding a turbo, blower, or both, I would go with an aftermarket EFI set-up. It would be much easier to integrate into the factory wiring. Megasquirt and Holley have systems that have self tuning features. No anti theft stuff, more features.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302