Close

Default 86 GT convertible HELP!

Hello all,

I bought a 86 GT convertible and I am driving it home to Texas. The suspension started shaking and get progressively worse in about 10 miles to make me pull over and get a hotel.

Can anyone speculate on what could be going wrong? It's shaking when I go slow also.

I have a O Riley and a couple of shops I can go to. the issue is what it could be and the solution is can I fix it or is this ship worthy.

I know it's late, but I am hoping one of you guys knows what it is.

thank in advance. I will pay this forward,
    BV

FEP Super Member

You need to describe suspension shaking .
    Front ?
    Rear ?
    Did you run over something ?
    Loose wheel , or bad tire , or u joints come to mind .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

What do the tires look like? If they are separating that is exactly what it will feel like.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Definitely sounds like tire is out of round. If car has set for extended period this is probably the issue. Get it to a tire shop and they can tell you real quick.

What did you find out?

This happens on our Windstar van if the parking brake is engaged while driving.
    '85 Mustang convertible GT, 5 speed, 4V
    Stock bottom end, Comp Cams XE264HR-14, GT-40P heads w/ Alex's springs, Weiand 8124 Street Warrior,
    Summit Racing 600CFM carb, 8.8 Turbo Coupe rear end w/ 3.55 gears, '94/'95 Cobra brakes, '85 Town Car M/C, '93 Cobra booster, MM Panhard Bar, MM Strut Tower Brace, MM 4 point K-member Brace

'68 Mercury Cougar, w/ '88 5.0L, 4V
    My photo website:
    http://www.twilightphoto.com/

Possible U-Joint failure?

The suspense is killing me...............So, what was it bdvela?
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

hopefully we won't see an obituary here...
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.