Close

Default Strange chirping noises

I don't really know where to start here, so I guess I start with what I've done to my engine so far. It's a '92 H.O. roller block that I have put a e303 cam, some trickflow valve springs, and now was swapping some gt40p heads and a new intake on. Anyways, I got the engine all back together with the new heads and started it up for the first time. After filling it with coolant and setting the timing I could hear a very harsh chirping noise from the passenger rear of the engine. I pulled the valve cover to see if it was hitting there, but the noise was still there. While at the valve train I checked to see if all the rockers, which are stock, were tight, all but one was. I replaced the pushrod and rocker with one I had around and it tightened up.
    After that I listened to the chirp some more and thought it might be a spark plugs jumping to ground, so I started to unplug wires. I started with number 4 plug wire and when I unplugged it the chirping stopped, so I reseated the wire to the plug but the chirping was still there upon hooking it back up. Now I started to mess with the timing thinking it may have been pre detonation, so I rotated the distributor all the way clockwise that I could and I got the chirp to disappear from idle, yet it was still there in higher rpms. By now I was getting frustrated at the noise, maybe it was a compression leak, so I tried to test the compression but I could not get the tester in the plug holes I wanted with the headers the P.O. had in there. I did get cylinders one and three tested at 100 and 110 PSI, respectively. Without being able to test compression with a gauge on cylinder four I decided to fill the cylinder with air and listen for leaks, which there was one but I decided after I pulled my heads again that it was just coming through the crankcase. So with the heads off I looked at the head gasket and saw no signs of leaks anywhere.
    After all this was done I had another thought that this may have all been an exhaust leak with the metal gaskets i reused there.
    Could it be possible that it was in fact all along the exhaust gaskets, however I don't see how that would change with the changed timing or pulled spark wire.

I really don't know what else it could be, but I'd really appreciate some help from you all.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Foxes:
    1983 Mustang GT--Forum Outlaw
    1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    Other Fords
    1955 F100 351W
    1998 Ranger

"Pink isn't well, he stayed back at hotel."

FEP Senior Member

just a guess but I would change the exhaust gasket. i remember when they start to leak they made cracking noise. and yes unplugging the spark plug wire silences the crack.

Take some video with your phone and upload to youtube. You can make the video unlisted. But, still share the link with the forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lJHiAQU_Q8
    2011 - AAMCO "We Hear You"
    AAMCOCarCare

Thanks for all the replies, I went ahead and got my heads machined flat, just to be sure. Ordered some new gaskets and put it all together today. I am happy to say there is no chirping or strange noises. Thanks again for the help.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Foxes:
    1983 Mustang GT--Forum Outlaw
    1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    Other Fords
    1955 F100 351W
    1998 Ranger

"Pink isn't well, he stayed back at hotel."

I have this same problem in my 82 gt. Comes and goes but sounds just like a spark to ground. Been driving me nuts