Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Kevin,

I have had two different SVO owners tell me that the brake booster in their car doesn't fit any m/c other than the SVO one due to the pilot diameter of the SVO m/c being smaller. See the post below for an example.

https://www.svocop.com/forum/showthr...ll=1#post11004

Sometimes Ford does make mistakes. Not very often, but it does happen.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

FEP Power Member

The way i read them, is they don’t fit with the 94 and up.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

From my m/c measurements, all Fox and SN95 m/c designed for vacuum booster use have the same pilot ID, except the SVO model, which was taken from another car and never really designed for a Mustang.
    Jack Hidley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    From my m/c measurements, all Fox and SN95 m/c designed for vacuum booster use have the same pilot ID, except the SVO model, which was taken from another car and never really designed for a Mustang.
    You mean from the Lincoln Mk VII? Along with the rest of the brakes.

The hydro boost master cylinder was different but the one with the std booster still used the 1 1/8" master cylinder.

Way back I swapped my old 85 SVO's brake booster with one from a standard GT. The master cylinder bolted straight on with a small push rod tweak. I also owned a 84 and an 86 SVO. Maybe some of the early 84 SVO's had smaller diameter internal pushrod parts but I have not seen it personally.

SVO/Mk VII brakes are in their own world. Cobra fronts and SN-95 rear stuff lends itself to lots of different choices and opinions.
    Last edited by Zap's 85 GT; 09-02-2018 at 04:28 PM.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Yes, from a Lincoln Mark VII.

My comments have nothing to do with the pushrod. They are about the pilot of the m/c casting which needs to fit into the counterbore in the front of the vacuum brake booster, if they are to be bolted together. Look at the link that I posted, if you don't understand.
    Jack Hidley

Quote Originally Posted by Zap's 85 GT View Post
    My car brake pedal feels much better with the 15/16 master cylinder that I would not consider using a 1" unit again. It is very much worth the money and time to install it. The Cobra master cylinder is also much less messy and an all around better choice IMO.
    Thanks Zap's 85 GT, I think I'm gonna try one before the snow flies.
    Project "WinBacK" 1986 LX Hatchback
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

Yes, from a Lincoln Mark VII.

My comments have nothing to do with the pushrod. They are about the pilot of the m/c casting which needs to fit into the counterbore in the front of the vacuum brake booster, if they are to be bolted together. Look at the link that I posted, if you don't understand.
    Need to be a member to see the images.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

I'm going to install the 15/16" 94-95 Cobra m/c tonight. I tried last week, but the fittings for the 93 Cobra m/c are opposite from the 94-95 Cobra m/c. So I ordered the lines from Maximum Motorsports to make it quick and easy. https://www.maximummotorsports.com/M...ang-P1273.aspx

I'll drive it tomorrow to see how it feels compared to the 1" bore 93 Cobra m/c.
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    The Ford parts book lists 1 booster F0ZZ-2005-A for the all of the following applications:
    84-89 3.8L and 5.0L
    84-89 GT and SVO

2.3 and 2.3 Turbo cars are different.
    Your assumption that the replacement parts are the same is correct, the original part number for the SVO and GT were E1BZ-2005-B R/B FOZZ-2005-A. The problem you run into is the original part that comes on the car isn't always the same as the replacement part. Jack is probably correct on the SVO Master and booster being different, Ford loved to have a master cylinder and booster assy for one car (say the SVO) that would have been say from Bendix, they would then go out and get an assembly from another manufacturer for the GT that would have different specks, like the mating surface on the booster to the master. The catch was when they designed the replacement part, they were designed to work with both. So even with the replacement part number being the same doesn't mean that the original parts would interchange with each other.

Rain delays... The brakes are bleed, though.
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed

Quote Originally Posted by banzaibullitt View Post
    the fittings for the 93 Cobra m/c are opposite from the 94-95 Cobra m/c
    You like that? I found out the fittings are actually THE SAME between '79-86(?) and '94 and up, but different for '87-93. When I swapped to the '94 master, it bolted right up, but then in the past few years, I tried to integrate some '87-93 components as part of replacing all the lines, but found out they are different! So, they changed them... and then changed them back!!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Brad,

What fittings are you referring to?

"I found out the fittings are actually THE SAME between '79-86(?) and '94 and up,"
    Jack Hidley

Brad,

What fittings are you referring to?

"I found out the fittings are actually THE SAME between '79-86(?) and '94 and up,"
    Between the master cylinder and proportioning valve. I could be remembering wrong though. Maybe I'm thinking of how they went from 2 lines to 3 and then back to 2.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Brad,

All Fox prop valves have SAE inverted flared fittings. All SN95 prop valves have metric ISO bubble flare fittings.

All 1979-86 Mustang m/c have SAE inverted flare fittings. All 1987-2004 Mustang m/c have metric ISO bubble flare fittings.
    Jack Hidley

FEP Senior Member

I can attest to the 15/16" bore with the Fox booster. It feels a little soft to me, but it's comfortable. I have a '92 booster with the 94/95 Cobra M/C, conversion lines, etc. I don't have an adjustable proportioning valve yet, and still using the OEM one. That will be changed, and probably what makes me feel like the brakes are a touch soft. They work well enough to get around with the car, toss it lightly in some corners, get through traffic, etc.
    Last edited by Basin Motorsports; 10-09-2018 at 01:28 PM.