Close

Default Speedometer Cable Burnt from exhaust

I am replacing my speedometer cable after the original got fried by the exhaust. Anyone have a good idea of a heatproof material to give some protection form the exhaust?

Thanks
    Brant

I have been gratuitusly using that heat reflecting tape they sell at AutoZone on stuff like my brake lines near my headers but none of my stuff comes closer than 4 inches. Not sure how well it actually works. Sticks well though and looks like it should work.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Mine melted its cable housing after working fine for years. Turned out to be a lean mixture issue making things hotter than normal.

Wrap with large amounts of foil (smoothly, not crumped). Take a heater hose, slice it down the middle and wrap around the speedo cable near the headers (and your clutch cable) if you have one. Use 3-4 zip ties to secure the heater hose wrap.
    '85 Mustang convertible GT, 5 speed, 4V
    Stock bottom end, Comp Cams XE264HR-14, GT-40P heads w/ Alex's springs, Weiand 8124 Street Warrior,
    Summit Racing 600CFM carb, 8.8 Turbo Coupe rear end w/ 3.55 gears, '94/'95 Cobra brakes, '85 Town Car M/C, '93 Cobra booster, MM Panhard Bar, MM Strut Tower Brace, MM 4 point K-member Brace

'68 Mercury Cougar, w/ '88 5.0L, 4V
    My photo website:
    http://www.twilightphoto.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 854vragtop View Post
    Wrap with large amounts of foil (smoothly, not crumped). Take a heater hose, slice it down the middle and wrap around the speedo cable near the headers (and your clutch cable) if you have one. Use 3-4 zip ties to secure the heater hose wrap.
    On my long tube headers I put a heavy rubber with steel P clamp on one of the collector bolts and used it to hold the speedo cable away from the header.