Close

Default Help with rear shocks..

Long story short my rear air shocks are shot on my 85. There's a hole in the bag of one so they won't hold air. I'd rather not run air shocks again if I don't have to. Now I know you get what you pay for but I don't have much money after doing a 347 swap. So does anyone have an idea of what gas shock I can hopefully run with 28" tall tires that don't clear the fenders because of my offset. So I need them (if possible) to hold the car enough so I'm not hitting the tires so often on bumps. I've had air shocks since I put this bigger wheel setup so I have no clue if a stock gas shock will hold the car up enough. Everything is stock, springs and control arms so the car has no way to adjust ride height. A couple people have told me to run Lakewood 50/50s but reading up on them those are shorter than stock so I don't see how those would hold the car up enough? Any help is much appreciated.

Shocks don't jack up a car unless they are air shocks. Shocks regulate the speed at which the spring reacts to changes. That said...

Look up AFCO adjustable spring spacers. The go on top of the spring and you screw the collar down to get more length. Then you will need a shock that can get long enough. Your 50/50's will probably work at that point.

I still have a set of those spacers from my stock car days. Tell me if you need a picture.

Kenny

Twin tube gas shocks have the gas in them at a low pressure, so they don't have much extension force and won't raise the ride height a measurable amount when installed.

Monotube shocks are almost always high pressure gas. These typically have an extension force of around 30lbs each. This will help increase the ride height some. Maybe only 3/8" or so.

The better solution is to install RLCAs with an adjustable height spring perch on them.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Quote Originally Posted by mudgepondexpress View Post
    Shocks don't jack up a car unless they are air shocks. Shocks regulate the speed at which the spring reacts to changes. That said...

Look up AFCO adjustable spring spacers. The go on top of the spring and you screw the collar down to get more length. Then you will need a shock that can get long enough. Your 50/50's will probably work at that point.

I still have a set of those spacers from my stock car days. Tell me if you need a picture.

Kenny
    That style adjuster doesn't work on a Fox unless you modify the upper spring perch.

I love Jack's suggestions -- I think they are spot on.

But let's say you are flat broke and need to make it work...... I would ditch the fox style shocks because they are shorter than SN95 shocks and don't offer as much droop. To run an SN95 ditch the factory bump stops.

Alternatively you can get shock extensions. Something like this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...iABEgIzy_D_BwE

BUT verify size and thread pitch, etc.

As for the spring situation -- I'd add coil spring spacers or helpers

https://www.jegs.com/p/Mr-Gasket/Mr-...47385/10002/-1

The other thing you can do is go to a longer rear spring. Something for another application. Watch your rates -- the ones in back are a bit stiff for the car's weight on the street or the track already.

You may want to see about different wheels or shorter axles in the long run so you can tuck the tires up under the car.

Good luck!

...or, new isolators. Poly ones will raise you up some for sure.

I agree that the cheapest is poly isolators.
    But, you won't get a lot of extra height.

My suggestion is to use the MM adjustable rear lower control arms.
    That way, you can adjust the rear height as needed.

Also, you can put in stiffer rear springs, even if they are a little lower.
    That way, you won't have as much jounce/travel in the rear.

Otherwise, you risk ruining a tire and maybe a rim.
    That would end up costing a lot more than putting in the right part for the job.

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/S...998-P1492.aspx
    Sport Series Adjustable Mustang Rear Lower Control Arms, 1979-1998
    $289.97
    Item # MMRLCA-102

Last edited by stangPlus2Birds; 08-24-2018 at 10:22 PM.

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I already plan on running some MM adjustable rear lower control arms in the future. As for now I just sucked it up and got a new set of air shocks for the time being. No charge because of the warranty they have. So the car is back on the road for now. I've thought about running SN shocks as well. But for now a fellow member has offered to help me out with some springs that should help with the height. I don't think they can be any worse than what the car has now. So it's worth a try. I'm not sure how stiff they are. But regardless this thing hits the bumps hard due to all the pressure I run in the shocks, about 90 PSI. It's that high so the tires don't rub much. So maybe with those springs I can relieve some of the pressure and weight from the shocks. In the future I also plan on new wheels and tires with a better offset to be tucked in more.