Close

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Str8sixfan View Post
    Hey thanks MisterNitro! I just uploaded a new episode tonight...got it down to the ball joints on the front.

https://youtu.be/QeAtz5D4V7g

If you wouldn't mind subscribing to me over on YouTube, I'd appreciate that! I'm in a competition with another YouTuber this month to try and see who can get 100 subs first in a month. Right now, I usually only get about 30-35 new subs in a month, so I'm trying to push myself!

Subscribed!

Today (and yesterday) I got really close to wrapping up the 5-lug swap for the front of the project with Ranger rotors, but of course there were some snags.

https://youtu.be/WVs_qa7tCtw

1 inch is huge for a wheel spacer. I'd try and use the smallest one you can. MM makes good ones. Hub centric is best.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    1 inch is huge for a wheel spacer. I'd try and use the smallest one you can. MM makes good ones. Hub centric is best.
    I'd really like to not use them at all, but I don't know that I have that luxury. I'm hoping to borrow a pair of 1" spacers from another local Fairmont guy. I think part of the problem is the struts aren't kicked back at their proper angle with it hanging up on jackstands right now. I may be able to get away with 3/4" spacers, but I'd like to borrow the 1", get it on the ground and then see how much clearance there is.

I ended up getting the other rotor on tonight with the new bearings packed. Had to mow the lawn, otherwise would have got the caliper and pads back on. Oh well, for another night. Thanks for watching!

Getting really really close, but still not off the jackstands

https://youtu.be/ZsBkifUsCpM

Getting there! Good work.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Thanks MCB. Curious if anyone has an issue with how I packed my bearings. First time I ever did it. I have a know it all commentor telling me "No! don't do it that way" I feel like my approach even if it's "not best" can't really be that detrimental to the end goal. I mean the point was to get grease to get all through the bearings, and I did. Anyway just curious what you all think.

I didn't see a problem with it. Just gotta get the grease in there, and that's what you did.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I didn't see a problem with it. What was he thinking should be different?
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

It's finally on the ground again! https://youtu.be/o2s2J0sa9T4

If it was me, and you have ENOUGH room with the CV wheels, I'd keep them. Especially if you want to bring the rear suspension down some. With a Mark VII rear on mine, I never could make the wheels I had work. The stance on yours looks good. I wouldn't sacrifice that usability for slightly better looks. Remember, the body will lean around turns.

Oh, and congrats on the big moment getting it on the ground! Mine will be on stands for at least another week.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

It's finally on the ground again! https://youtu.be/o2s2J0sa9T4
    I really like the stance. I prefer a bit of rake, just like you have. It may settle some too. Nice job!

Not sure what to advise on the front wheels, spacers would make me a bit nervous though.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Maximum Motorsports has a good article about spacers I used as part of my decision process.

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/t...s_spacers.aspx
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Brad, thanks. This makes me feel less nervous. My biggest worry is cutting the studs to get the spacers on, only to find I have another clearance issue somewhere else. But I might be willing to just go ahead and do it now. How big of spacers are you running?

Brad, thanks. This makes me feel less nervous. My biggest worry is cutting the studs to get the spacers on, only to find I have another clearance issue somewhere else. But I might be willing to just go ahead and do it now. How big of spacers are you running?
    You're welcome. Worst case scenario, lug studs aren't expensive and aren't bad to replace if you have to. I've done it a few times. They are press fit and can be hammered out and pulled in with a lug nut.

My spacers are 1/8" on the front and 1/2" (w/ longer lug studs) on the back. The fronts are only because my brakes would rub on the inside of the wheels without them. The backs are just for looks. I swapped to SN95 rear brakes, and they pulled the wheels in by that much, and since I had high offset wheels and didn't need the clearance, I pushed them back out. On the front, I have SN95 spindles, so my wheel flanges are quite a bit farther out than yours.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

You're welcome. Worst case scenario, lug studs aren't expensive and aren't bad to replace if you have to. I've done it a few times. They are press fit and can be hammered out and pulled in with a lug nut.

My spacers are 1/8" on the front and 1/2" (w/ longer lug studs) on the back. The fronts are only because my brakes would rub on the inside of the wheels without them. The backs are just for looks. I swapped to SN95 rear brakes, and they pulled the wheels in by that much, and since I had high offset wheels and didn't need the clearance, I pushed them back out. On the front, I have SN95 spindles, so my wheel flanges are quite a bit farther out than yours.
    Ahhhh...well I wouldn't have been worried to run spacers like spacers like you say, but I have to run the ones that are like wheel lug adapters. Where I have to bolt the spacer to the rotor, then I have 5 new studs that the wheel mounts to. That's why I mocked them up the way I did using lugnuts (they represented what a 5/8" spacer would be, but it wasn't enough), I was hoping to not have to use the wheel adapter style spacer if I didn't have to. That's why I asked you to explain more. I couldn't exactly make out whether or not the maxim motorsports write up was taking that style into account or not.

Ahhhh...well I wouldn't have been worried to run spacers like spacers like you say, but I have to run the ones that are like wheel lug adapters. Where I have to bolt the spacer to the rotor, then I have 5 new studs that the wheel mounts to. That's why I mocked them up the way I did using lugnuts (they represented what a 5/8" spacer would be, but it wasn't enough), I was hoping to not have to use the wheel adapter style spacer if I didn't have to. That's why I asked you to explain more. I couldn't exactly make out whether or not the maxim motorsports write up was taking that style into account or not.
    It absolutely does. If you look at MM's mission and parts offerings, it becomes clear that they would not offer something if it's a bad idea to use it. They do offer 1 inch bolt-in spacers. The most important part about any spacers is to make sure the ones you buy are hub-centric, and don't cheap out. That said, I could see why you would want to go with the other wheels. It may end up being the cheaper and easier option for you in the end. It always has to get complicated doesn't it?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Like I mentioned, A to B seems like it should be a straight line, but B seems to be a moving target. Ford made such a myriad of parts that will interchange on these cars that the combination of parts is critical to success. You're almost there Grant. It'll be that much more satisfying when you're done.
    (you're never done though)

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    Like I mentioned, A to B seems like it should be a straight line, but B seems to be a moving target. Ford made such a myriad of parts that will interchange on these cars that the combination of parts is critical to success. You're almost there Grant. It'll be that much more satisfying when you're done.
    (you're never done though)
    The frustrating part for me is my research usually works. I apparently didn't do enough of the right research before I started. Though I've read that there was a breaking point (on Mustangs at least) that the distance of the struts from wheel got further away in the later years than it was in the 79-83 range or something.

It absolutely does. If you look at MM's mission and parts offerings, it becomes clear that they would not offer something if it's a bad idea to use it. They do offer 1 inch bolt-in spacers. The most important part about any spacers is to make sure the ones you buy are hub-centric, and don't cheap out. That said, I could see why you would want to go with the other wheels. It may end up being the cheaper and easier option for you in the end. It always has to get complicated doesn't it?
    That helps too, however according to MM it doesn't appear that hub centric is that big of a deal -

"The hub center of a hubcentric spacer does not hold the spacer on the hub or reduce the chance of stud failure. There is never any load on the lip of the wheel spacer. For there to be a load on the lip, the friction force in the joint must have been completely overcome. The lip on a hubcentric wheel spacer serves only as an aid for wheel installation."

Self admittedly, I hadn't checked out their full product line/offering.

My understanding of it is, you don't want JUST the lugs locating your wheel. The hub lip on a spacer doesn't look all that strong, so I think what they're getting at is, that's okay because their purpose is not to take load. The lugs do that once the nuts are tight. The lug holes on the wheels are big enough that if only the lugs are locating it, you could end up with a wobbly shopping cart wheel situation on your car. Not good.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

That makes sense

Not a whole lot I got accomplished this week, but here's the link - https://youtu.be/cu3bdm6kyIs

A frustrating day in the garage, but that doesn't mean it wasn't fruitful - https://youtu.be/3rxYHu87tLs

I feel your pain. And working with the master cylinder is VERY stressful.

You may just need to crank down those fittings that are leaking. I run into that frequently. I never know if I'm tightening them enough until I run fluid though the system.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast