Close

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Starting to put the thing back together - https://youtu.be/D5GNj4j3__0

I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of results you get from the engine!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Me as well as I will be doing something similar with my stock 82 engine.
    79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Marty View Post
    Me as well as I will be doing something similar with my stock 82 engine.
    Grand scheme of things, I don't expect that if I threw it on a Dyno that I d get out of the 160s in HP. But I do expect to notice a difference for sure. Hoping tomorrow to get everything else done but my carburetor. Rebuild that over the week and fingers crossed fire it up maybe Friday for a first start

Here's where I got last weekend - https://youtu.be/TWu-wlDavSE

I spent way too much time modifying a part that I will probably end up deleting - https://youtu.be/FqXo43G4n7g

Starting a carb rebuild of a Motorcraft 2150 - https://youtu.be/rTEqApeFwZM

Pretty depressed right now. Got the carb rebuild wrapped up this morning, a hose short of start up, but upon pressure testing the system, 1) found there's a hole in my radiator - probably from removal and or storage, and 2) there's a hissing sound from around the thermostat housing, but I don't see leaks anywhere. Guessing I botched the head gasket install. I cannot believe I've spent 3 months getting here, and now I have to (potentially) tear it back down that far.

I've done that! I put them on upside down! Who knew you could even do that?! Well, I do... now...

I'm sorry though, that sucks. Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be that. Could it be the intake?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by Str8sixfan View Post
    Pretty depressed right now. Got the carb rebuild wrapped up this morning, a hose short of start up, but upon pressure testing the system, 1) found there's a hole in my radiator - probably from removal and or storage, and 2) there's a hissing sound from around the thermostat housing, but I don't see leaks anywhere. Guessing I botched the head gasket install. I cannot believe I've spent 3 months getting here, and now I have to (potentially) tear it back down that far.
    I think I would tear into the therm housing and investigate before pulling the heads.

Good luck GT
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Ya, I would try to eliminate all of the lesser possibilities before looking at the heads. Hose clamps, hoses, t-stat housing, intake manifold gasket, water pump, etc. There's a lot of places it could leak right there at the front of the engine.

I made sure to torque down the thermostat housing while the intake was off the car, because I hate having to mess with that thing. Was hoping to get a friend available to help me figure out what it was before I tear it all apart. Just been kinda down on it. He didn't return my text Sunday night (didn't want to interupt family meal time or anything), so I was going to try calling either Monday or last night, but just didn't feel up to it.

In the meantime, here's what i did get done on Sunday - https://youtu.be/l3kYwnSz5q0

I would put a pressure tester on it, that usually helps find leaks
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    I would put a pressure tester on it, that usually helps find leaks
    This is how I'm discovering what I'm explaining, IS with the pressure test. Did a few things between last night and today over lunch.

Last night - pulled spark plug in cylinder 1 - it was bone dry
    Lunch today - found heater bypass tube wasn't clamped down all the way, so I cut that tube more straight and tightened up the clamps real good. Pressure test held better/longer after this, and the hissing sound from up there seemed to go away. Then I drained a little oil out of the front drain plug. No evidence of water. So pretty sure it was just that heater bypass hose between the thermostat and water pump that was just letting air out. We'll see.

Keeping my fingers crossed!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Swapped out radiators over the weekend, still haven't pressure tested it to see if we're 100% out of the woods yet, but here's the latest -

https://youtu.be/NG1Yu1Kl0Hc

It's usually this part of the week where I'm sharing a new link to show progress on the car. Well if you caught last week's episode ( https://youtu.be/NG1Yu1Kl0Hc ) I admitted I would be indefinitely suspending videos on the car until I get it running. But I did want to drop in and update you guys here that I did continue to work on it last weekend and got a lot of good things done. The car is basically ready for a start up, but I'm waiting on 2 things -

1) Time to go out and re-set the distributor. This was a newb engine builder move on my part. I just simply reinstalled it. Didn't know I should have had it set at TDC and pointed the rotor to plug #1 when I installed. So I need to do that.
    2) Needing someone else's time freed up to help be a second set of eyes for the first start up. Need someone experienced to help set initial timing (actually I probably could do that if I have to), but also look for that giant ball of fire coming out of the carb potentially and suffocating it with a rag...whereas if I was doing it alone I wouldn't see with the hood up. Just things like that. I just think I will be more comfortable having someone seasoned around to assist with that day. That way too, they can help me troubleshoot should the thing not start as well. I figure having a second person around is what I need to help me learn the best.

Make sure its at TDC on the compression stroke.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

I hope it goes well!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I found tdc on the compression stroke, then moved the crank to 10 deg btdc. Then I marked #1 on the dist housing and installed the distributor so the rotor was pointing at my mark. Fired right off first try.

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    Make sure its at TDC on the compression stroke.
    I assume this would be with both rocker arms dead level with eachother? Meaning neither is depressed?

Yep. Some guys put their finger over the spark plug hole (spark plug removed). You can feel air pressure build up. The timing mark should be pretty close to zero at this point.

I assume this would be with both rocker arms dead level with eachother? Meaning neither is depressed?
    Yes both valves should be closed.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Thank you both. This weekend should be the weekend!

Thank you both. This weekend should be the weekend!
    good luck man! Release the Kraken!!
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast