Close

Default Going rate for GT40 heads

Curious what I should think market value is for GT40 heads at a place you gotta pull them yourselves?

Local Pick-n-Pull:
    306-4 Head - Cast Iron W/O Cam Car $38.99 $4.99 (core)

http://www.picknpull.com/part_pricing.aspx

Mike

As long as they are the gt40s you are looking for...
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

$50 + $10 core around here.
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

So if I land a pair, do I have to worry about intake manifold compatibility moving forward? I have a 1978 Ford Fairmont 302. I'm not saying I WILL, but this is a budget build and there's a slim chance I keep the stock manifold after the heads. I figured heads were my best bang for the buck power upgrade. Will for sure be doing headers because of the spark plug issue. My hope is to do an intake and 4bbl carb as well but have to see how the numbers sort out with the budget.

Banned

I grabbed a pair of 4bar GT40's for my car and paid a local machine shop to redo the heads and install a set of springs that have #300 @ .500 lift Total was $350. They are a pretty good budget option. I know they aren't going to light the world on fire, but they are way better than the wobbly valve E5's that came off the engine. They will work with your stock intake etc. I put mine on an 85 GT and these heads are good to about .550 lift.

I'm a newb to getting this far into an engine...when you say #300 @ .500 lift, is that valve spring rate?

Anything that bolts on your old engine will bolt onto a later 302 for the most part. You'll be fine with intake and exhaust manifolds, but I would ditch the factory exhaust and get some aftermarket short tube headers.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153