Close

View Poll Results: Keep the patina or fix the chips and scratches?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep the Patina

5 14.71%
  • Fix the chips and scratches, but otherwise keep it untouched

29 85.29%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    Sometimes the story being told is, “I’ve been severely abused, please paint me”. LolAttachment 123282
    That's a bit more than 'patina'

Glad you listened to the story, that's going to be a cool car, sans patina!

There’s a fine line between a car with patina and a car who’s owner is too cheap to paint their car.

I like an 80’s car with decent original paint, it doesn’t have to be perfect.
    Once it gets past the point of “a little wear from experience” it’s time for fresh paint.

My ‘83 had perfect paint 15 years ago. It’s no longer perfect but still looks good. If anyone ever tells me it has patina I’ll be heading to the paint shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People use the word "patina" for anything and everything that is not completely 'perfect' body/paint. When I hear the word I just ignore everything said thereafter.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    It can be cool on something super old, that no one ever sees (or ever saw before).
    Trying to keep that original, even worn original, is kind of cool to me.

Don't get it anything from the 80's though.
    I think you've pretty well said it there...newer cars just don't look good with bad paint on them, but older cars that still have their original paint on them are special in their own way, just because they're the way they came from the factory, less some years of wear and tear. If I'm looking at an older car, original paint is a huge plus to me, even if it's not perfect, because I know the car is honest and isn't hiding some poor bodywork under nice shiny paint. But driving a newer car with bad paint just looks like an old beater. I don't mind surface rust on an old truck, the steel is super thick on those 40s and 50s models so you don't need to worry about protecting it as much if it's stored indoors. I totally don't understand, though, new paint jobs that are made to look bad as if the truck has rust on it. If you're going to the trouble of painting it, make it look new!

That said, I think the paint on the car from the OP looks fine as an original car, I wouldn't paint it. It is increasingly rare to see original paint on a 30 year old car. Once it stops looking presentable from 10 feet or so, I'd paint it.

Its not an easy choice, paint is very expensive, and as much as we all like these cars, most of them don't hold enough value to spend $3,500 on a decent job. So to paint or not to paint is often a matter of financial sense, or frankly just being able to afford to do it. This kind of work is through the roof these days, labor has always been expensive, but the materials are very expensive these days too.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    People use the word "patina" for anything and everything that is not completely 'perfect' body/paint. When I hear the word I just ignore everything said thereafter.
    That is so true. I don't think it's the proper word to describe original paint that still shines but has some imperfections from driving it. When my car was appraised the original paint with the imperfections, increased the value. It is getting extremely hard to find a original paint 4 eye in Canada. Perfect paint and original paint has an upside and downside.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
    -Currently Searching for "The One"

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Testing.

Patina.... FoxChassis I agree 100%. You are a super nice guy, PM me your address so I can send you a box of NOS parts and a bundle of cash.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12