Close

View Poll Results: Keep the patina or fix the chips and scratches?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep the Patina

5 14.71%
  • Fix the chips and scratches, but otherwise keep it untouched

29 85.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1982 Mustang GT Patina Poll.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...stang-GT/page3

This was brought up by a few people to me. Should I retain the patina on this car, or touch up the chips and fix the dings. I'm undecided. Let's see what the forum thinks!

Repair it

Mine is similar with the paint basically just wearing out along most of the sharper edges, and weathering differently on the urethane. I will probably repaint just to keep it respectable in appearance.

My .02 is drive the heck out of while the weather is good. Then if finances allow have it repainted or touched up over the winter.

Some cars wear the Patina/worn out paint look well. IMHO Fox Mustang/Capri DO NOT!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I say have the dent guy make it straight and put the money you would in paint into the driveline. Once you have a beautiful show paint job you will never drive it and enjoy. If you want a perfect 82, spend the money and buy an original one with awesome paint. Just my 2 cents... You car looks great.

I guess to clarify my earlier thoughts, I would "restore" the original paint just as you are (didn't know about the primered area up front) but yes I would have the PDR guy go over it to make it as straight as you can without doing getting into painting panels. Either way, its going to look great! I am going to have a fresh new interior in this one but full patina on the exterior.
    Name:  DSCN5873.JPG
Views: 507
Size:  125.6 KB
    Last edited by 83GTJIM; 08-20-2018 at 04:59 PM.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Some people think patina is cool.

Attachment 123153

Mike

FEP Senior Member

Either leave it be or paint the whole fender....don't get a touch up brush and go to town.

FEP Super Member

Only original once .
    Leave it alone .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by noac View Post
    Either leave it be or paint the whole fender....don't get a touch up brush and go to town.
    Honestly, I'd leave it alone before I'd repaint it. I guess my goal is to try to preserve it. Like ashley said above, it's only original once. It's not just the chips at the top of the fenders that bug me, those are kinda cool, it's the scratches all over the car that bug me.

If I do anything, I'm thinking of the Dr. Color Chip road rash kit. I've used it before and as long as the paint is a good match, you can get amazing results.

This is a pic of my former '92 Purple Haze Z28 convertible. The car came from the SoCal desert. The leading edge of the hood looked sandblasted with many hundreds of chips. I figured I'd have to get it repainted, but I used the Dr Color Chip stuff and it came out great.
    Name:  photo-169.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  88.7 KB
    Last edited by chazman; 08-20-2018 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTJIM View Post
    I guess to clarify my earlier thoughts, I would "restore" the original paint just as you are (didn't know about the primered area up front) but yes I would have the PDR guy go over it to make it as straight as you can without doing getting into painting panels. Either way, its going to look great! I am going to have a fresh new interior in this one but full patina on the exterior.
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTJIM View Post
    Looking forward to seeing your progress. Do you have a thread on it?

It is difficult to determine paint quality from a photo, but you've got this car looking very good. I think your idea of correcting the chips etc is a good one. As was pointed out, it's only original once. Upon reflection of this, I may see if my car's paint can be repaired rather than repainted.

I don't get "patina". I just don't. People talk like it is cool or something.

Thanks for your responses guys. FYI, I just ordered the Dr. Color Chip kit and have contacted a PDR guy.

I think I'm pretty much done rubbing on this paint now, it's about as shiny as it's gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    When I see an original car with patina I think each scratch, ding or dent tells a story.

Seems I'm not the only one who appreciates it, go to a car show and watch lots of people pass over the restored cars to see the survivor.

I guess we are talking about the same 'patina'?

I like patina on an original car, as well. On this car in particular though, I'm thinking a little reversing of patina could bring it up to next level. It's still going to have patina.

The deeper openings in the finish would certainly need something to prevent oxidation from working its way in. Might want to see what's under the rear spoiler, my poor car had about a pint of leaf compost in there, and rust.

Quote Originally Posted by rodster View Post
    When I see an original car with patina I think each scratch, ding or dent tells a story.

Seems I'm not the only one who appreciates it, go to a car show and watch lots of people pass over the restored cars to see the survivor.

I guess we are talking about the same 'patina'?
    Sometimes the story being told is, “I’ve been severely abused, please paint me”. LolName:  7BE06FE6-1844-489C-A939-33F864BFCDDD.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  141.1 KB

I'm on the paint side.. For me, it's more of a Rat Rod / 60's or older car look..

Enjoy it as-is while the weather is nice.

After you've put it away for the season, scuff prep the area where there is a problem plus scuff the entire panel. Do what you need to do at the area of the damage to get it right. Get your color match down to a gnat's ass. Blend out away from the damaged area. Take your time and use sprayer that allows you a good amount of control.

Let it cure until the new paint is OK for a good cut and buff. Go to town. Apply a nice coat something to protect it when you are done.

If you don't love the results then your options are live with it or do a full prep and respray.....

Sometimes less is more on this stuff though.

I was told by tons of people at a few cars shows not to touch the "patina" on my car. It's only original once. Every scratch, nick, and bump does tell a story. I was fortunate to buy it from the original owner too.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
    -Currently Searching for "The One"

Quote Originally Posted by Blainer View Post
    I was told by tons of people at a few cars shows not to touch the "patina" on my car. It's only original once. Every scratch, nick, and bump does tell a story. I was fortunate to buy it from the original owner too.

Well......I see no patina on that car...

Quote Originally Posted by chazman View Post
    Well......I see no patina on that car...
    Oh there is scratches, nicks and bumps.

-Currently Searching for "The One"

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    It can be cool on something super old, that no one ever sees (or ever saw before).
    Trying to keep that original, even worn original, is kind of cool to me.

Don't get it anything from the 80's though.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast