Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

^^^ exactly.

and I highly doubt the rebuild done was a 10k job...

The two guys I go to are AHM Performance in Rosedale, MD, and Mark Small in Westminster, MD.

Mark has a reputation for Allison and Rolls Royce engines in both tractor pulling AND aviation, as well Chevy v's in dirt and asphalt track...

AHM's reputation comes and goes, but Chris is a standup guy that gets hammered unnecessarily by those with 'unusual' expectations...
    Chris does most of the machine work for Vaughn Gitten Jr, thru Revolution Auto (Adam Browne with Mike McNew).

I was also ASME and ASE certified as a machinist for about 20 years. Was never my primary focus, but did a lot of top end repairs. Now I focus more on electronics and vehicle networks. I did so little actual engine repair, I let those certs slide (of course, ASE dropped theirs anyway).

Always great to talk with another industry pro!
    Last edited by FB71; 08-21-2018 at 09:24 PM.
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    They had me on 15w40 rotella on break in and all they suggested was keep the zinc up and move to synthetic after 3k. It is a high volume pump they put in, new crank etc.
    ok, they had you on that for break in... You were driving it on that? I've always classified 'break-in' as about an hour total of run time, usually split into two to three runs, around 2k rpm, no real load. Heat cycle the engine, retorque everything, change the oil to what it's spec'd for. Not sure you really needed that HV oil pump. I've never recommended that on stock-ish rebuild. Way too much volume for stock clearances, generating unnecessarily high oil pressure, heat, and drag.
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

I should say my break in (that 3k miles). The shop did the initial break in.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12