Close

Default rear tail light assembly issue

Is there any procedure to opening the rear tail lens to a 84 LX vert? I have been having problems for a long time with people telling me the driver side light is too dim to be seen. Two weeks ago i got pulled over by a cop and told it looks like the driver side brake light was out. After looking it over with my mechanic today we realized the light isnt dim, its the reflective material inside the driver side lens assembly is dulled out and not reflecting anymore. I need to open up the lens and sparay some reflective aluminum paint on the backspash. Bit the unit appears to be factory molded.

I have seen lens replacements offered by LMR without the body so I assume there must be a way to remove the lens.

FEP Super Member

Most people put the assy in an oven at 200 degrees .
    1/2 hour or so , and it softened the butyl holding the lens onto the main housing .
    Requires new butyl when reassembling.
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    Most people put the assy in an oven at 200 degrees .
    1/2 hour or so , and it softened the butyl holding the lens onto the main housing .
    Requires new butyl when reassembling.
    any idea what diameter butyl? I think I'd be more comfortable using a heat gun than an oven though.

https://lmr.com/item/HDW-13450K/83-9...stallation-Kit

Generally no need to heat up the tail lights. Most the butyl is so old and brittle they will come apart with careful persuasion using a large flat plastic trim panel tool. Worse case let the lights sit out in the sun to heat up and shouldn't be an issue.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    https://lmr.com/item/HDW-13450K/83-9...stallation-Kit

Generally no need to heat up the tail lights. Most the butyl is so old and brittle they will come apart with careful persuasion using a large flat plastic trim panel tool. Worse case let the lights sit out in the sun to heat up and shouldn't be an issue.
    Thanks.

That video mentions butyl tape and clips. There is a disclaimer dated 2013 stating they no longer provide the clips and tape with the tail lens. Will I find old clips in my assembly or are the clips LMR now provides as a separate purchase an extra part to insure their repro adhere? And is there a specific diameter butyl tape I need? Home depot sells that stuff.

Also, does anyone recommend a paint for reflective purpose for the back of the tail light assembly?

Some use silver paint, some use white.
    Reflective, refractive. Different results.
    Never did tail lights. If any clips there now, can prob be reused
    Have bought butyl tape from a RV supply store.
    Black, flat, about 1" wide, 30'?, around 10.00. Mold to shape. Not the same as putty tape.

FEP Super Member

1/8 " seems to ring a bell .
    If you can not find it that narrow , you can cut it to width with a sharp razor .
    Also as you pull on it , it gets somewhat smaller in diameter .
    There is also butyl in a caulk gun tube .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by fgross2006 View Post
    Thanks.

That video mentions butyl tape and clips. There is a disclaimer dated 2013 stating they no longer provide the clips and tape with the tail lens. Will I find old clips in my assembly or are the clips LMR now provides as a separate purchase an extra part to insure their repro adhere? And is there a specific diameter butyl tape I need? Home depot sells that stuff.

Also, does anyone recommend a paint for reflective purpose for the back of the tail light assembly?
    I seldom watch their videos so, not sure what was mentioned. The link was to the repair kit that includes the tape and the clips. Clips should be on your housings now, but no guarantees if someone has been into them before.

Not sure Home Depot sells Butyl tape, but maybe your local one does. Most of the time you have to go to an automotive supply house for that product. You can use silicone, caulk, etc. but I don't recommend it. Butyl works very well and allows you to take the housing back apart without damage if done correctly, silicone, caulks, etc not so much.

The factory sprayed a silver reflective paint. I recommend using one of the new reflective silvers out there. Krylon and Rustoleum both offer similar products. You can also buy something like this https://www.eastwood.com/almost-chro...sol-paint.html
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

I've used both the 3M brand 3/8" and 1/8" recently for quarter windows and taillights. I bought off Amazon, but also have it at a local auto supply store.

https://amzn.to/2Le2Wof