Close

Thread: What a find!

I guess it’s all I being in the right place at the right time and recognizing it.

I’m not sure I would have looked at that coupe and thought it was something special. I would have thought a rotted out California Special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool! It amazes me how many cool and rare cars are still out there to be found. So many old school junkyards are disappearing rapidly.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

That is cool. Will be neat to see how it turns out.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

We have been talking about it all night at work.
    It would take some big dollars to find all the parts to put it back...
    Cool car.

FEP Member

figures those rich bastards found it!wish it had been some regular schmuck like us.

it was in Dearborn this weekend at Woodward then at the Mustang Sunday. WOW is it rough. Also get to hear and see the Real Bullet car just found, plus the 10million car and 1st sold Another Great event this year
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

That couple with the first one sold would've possibly gone to their graves with the car perhaps never being recognized had some other person (who has since become non-existant) told everyone who would listen that HE had the first car purchased. Someone published it and The husband saw it and read the date of purchase and then realized nope. You do not own the first one sold, LOL. I DO! At that point, it was sitting broken down and in need of much repair in an unheated garage for decades. That was the motivation to restore it and tell their story. I have not met him but I met her. Sweetest lady there ever was. They raised kids in that car.

At FWHQ Sunday 8/19/18

Name:  81918 FWHQ show (22).jpg
Views: 159
Size:  105.4 KB

Important part of Mustang Shelby history. The first of any car is special. Mules included.
    Gonna take bucks to restore that junker. Pretty well stripped.
    Then figure out how to config it. Prob never really had one fixed setup.
    Were too many fine cars nearby to do anything more than touch it, take a pic, and move on.
    Last edited by gr79; 08-24-2018 at 11:28 AM.

I don't understand this whole first mustang story. The first mustang was bought buy a Canadian airline pilot (whose name I can't remember) and Ford spent a year or so convincing him to take a rand new 66 Mustang in trade so they could get the car back. As far as I know it resides permanently at the Henry Ford Musuem. The salesman didn't know (or was just greedy) the car was not supposed to be sold.

FEP Member

I can't help resenting guys having that kind of money at times, but it takes that kind of moola to preserve parts of our history, even though this car is mostly just a footnote to me. These are the type of people who restore and maintain WWII aircraft which are much more than footnotes, at least to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    I don't understand this whole first mustang story. The first mustang was bought buy a Canadian airline pilot (whose name I can't remember) and Ford spent a year or so convincing him to take a rand new 66 Mustang in trade so they could get the car back. As far as I know it resides permanently at the Henry Ford Musuem. The salesman didn't know (or was just greedy) the car was not supposed to be sold.
    That was Stanley Tucker with serial number 1. I think this lady supposedly bought her car before he did?
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    That was Stanley Tucker with serial number 1. I think this lady supposedly bought her car before he did?
    Yes she did.
    Ford sent cars to the dealerships so that they could dramatically show them off on April 17, the first day they were SUPPOSED to be on sale.
    Some 22 year old went into a dealership on April 15 insisting that she wanted a convertible, didn't like anything in sight. So the salesman took her out back and showed her the 2 mustangs that they had hidden for the big reveal. They sold her one, the paperwork shows she left the dealership with it 2 days before Ford even wanted the public to see one.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...rth/956784002/

Weren't there three serial number 1 Mustangs?

5F08F100001
    5Rxxx100001
    5Txxx100001
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 08-23-2018 at 07:03 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    Yes she did.
    Ford sent cars to the dealerships so that they could dramatically show them off on April 17, the first day they were SUPPOSED to be on sale.
    Some 22 year old went into a dealership on April 15 insisting that she wanted a convertible, didn't like anything in sight. So the salesman took her out back and showed her the 2 mustangs that they had hidden for the big reveal. They sold her one, the paperwork shows she left the dealership with it 2 days before Ford even wanted the public to see one.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...rth/956784002/
    Ok. Now I understand. Apparently I did not hear the whole story.

Nice car, great color combo. If you decide to sell the rims please let me know.
    Current Cars:
    83 GT Turbo All org w/ org paint 127k miles
    84 GT350 5.0 Period correct changes 5spd T Top 44k org miles
    83 LTD Wagon I6 65k miles
    2010 Mercury Milan AWD
    2019 Flex SEL

Past Cars: 79 Pace Car 5.0 Auto, 80 I6 Coupe, 79 I6 Coupe, 81 4cyl Coupe, 92GT, 83 Capri RS Turbo, 82GT TTop, 83 GT 5.0, 84 GT350 5.0 Auto, 86 ASC Capri coupe #1, 78 5.0 Granada Coupe, 03 MACH 1 2013 Flex Limited

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Weren't there three serial number 1 Mustangs?

5F08F100001
    5Rxxx100001
    5Txxx100001
    This is a very good question. At first, only Dearborn manufactured the Mustang (Ford anticipated building only 100K Mustangs the first year). San Jose came online several months later in July of '64 to help ease the load, and finally Metuchen was added in 1965.

Supposedly this is the first Mustang built in SJ; http://67mustangblog.com/wp-content/...blyLine-71.jpg
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 08-23-2018 at 10:14 PM. Reason: added link