Close

Thread: Belt/Belts

Default Belt/Belts

Hey All,
    Getting ready to install accessories to front of motor I do not have smog pump or A/C.
    If I go to V-belts and lose 25lbs in process an can see the motor.
    Or is there a way to use the Serpentine without the (ugly) heavy factory mount
    and tensioner...I know that I can get a/c, smog pump adapters but the front of
    engine is still ugly...

If I do go to v belts I know I have to replace water pump, but what about timing cover.

Ed
    1979 Base Mustang w/1987 5.0.
    Last edited by ThunderStruck; 08-20-2018 at 02:33 PM.

I think the bottom right illustration is what you will need if you decide to keep a serpentine belt.
    No way to lose the tensioner that I know of.
    While it may be the "ugly" solution, it is the simplest/cheapest.

Name:  BeltRouting.gif
Views: 77
Size:  38.9 KB

I'm pretty sure there is a standard rotation water pump that will replace the factory '87 up reverse rotation water pump without requiring a timing cover change, but I can't remember the application or part number..
    Hopefully it will come to me later and I can report back.
    '79 Fairmont Futura
    '79 Mercury Zephyr wagon
    '83 LTD Wagon - future Mustang "Sport" Wagon
    '84 Mercury Capri RS - 5.0 5spd
    Owner of Victory Engines and Machining, LLC
    g2G

V-belts is wise. I'll be doing the same. Yes to water pump, no to different timing cover.

Losing the tensioner is as easy as buying/fabricating brackets so that you have a pivoting and position-adjustable alternator... as always was before. Simple, and far cheaper.

Early '80's Ford Crown Vic and Mercury Marquis with V8 had serpentine belt/s and clockwise rotation water pump, with a "toothed" water pump pulley for being driven clockwise. I had an '81 Marquis, is how I know.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Thanks Guys,
    I will be heading to pull a part for brackets...
    Ed

FEP Senior Member

My '91 Crown Vic with the 351W runs a serpentine belt without an automatic tensioner. The alternator and P/S pump are on the left hand side of the engine. The A/C compressor and air pump are run by a separate belt on the right hand side of the engine (also no automatic tensioner). The 5.0 engines had the same setup but with some different brackets. I would imagine the 5.0 engine brackets would be easier to come by. As Mike mentioned the early 80's up to '91 are probably all the same.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire