Close

Default Another hood stripe question

My 1983 gt hood was painted by po at some point. The stripe and scoop has been painted gloss paint, I would like to bring it close to original but do not want the hard to maintain flat/matte finish. Here is the question could I paint over the gloss black hood with a clear coat in flat or matte with a rattle can. Would I end up with a factory look, but easy to maintain, still be able to wax, etc Thanks for any help! DaveName:  20180421_154220.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  67.3 KBName:  20180421_154140.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  85.5 KB

First you will need to sand/scuff up the gloss paint for any new paint to stick to the surface.

The next issue is trying to paint a large area with a rattle can. Some people have good luck with it, I personally never have and definitely not with a matte/satin sheen.

The way we do Satin/Matte work is to use regular Catalyzed Clear Coat and add a flattening agent to the clear to lower the gloss or sheen level. This is what we do on hood stripes, body side moldings, trim moldings, etc. as it gives the best protection and is the easiest to care for in my experience. If done properly then you can wash, clean, etc. as normal. You always want to be careful waxing Satin/Matte paint as wax can cause issues. I know there are options out there specifically for this type of paint as well as Satin/Matte Vinyl wraps. I would recommend waxing everything else as normal and using a special satin/matte wax on the center stripe.

If you have the skills and the ability you can do something like this in a nice clean garage, but I would still recommend considering taking it to a professional shop and see what kind of $$ they give you. Unfortunately Matte/Satin paint is something that you have to get right straight out of the gun as you usually can't fix it with sanding and buffing like normal clear. Best of Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I know it's not stock, but it's kind of pretty the way it is, you sure you want to mess with it? If so, I think that "flattened" clear coat is the best option, it should be an easy job for a body shop to do that for you and I think it doesn't require damaging the color you already have on there.

I agree, a flattened clear is your best option. The car is beautiful as is, I wouldn't change it.

Thanks for the advice Trey, I will not try to do it myself at this point as I have no skills or ability in body or paint work, tried some body work back in the 70's and it looked decent in primer but looked like crap when painted. About 5 months ago I tried plastidip on the Mustang stripe and scoop and grill I spent a lot of time on masking it and used 3 cans of dip. My wife took one look at it and said that looks like A** she was right! I tried to remove it like the ad's show, what a joke it came off in tiny little pieces. Worked on it 3 hours, I finally went to car wash to try to power wash it off, $27.00 worth of quarters later, all off with no damage to paint! If I go ahead with paint it will be done by pro's who know what they are doing! Thanks again Trey, I appreciate your help

Thanks, Matt J and mudgepondexpress for your advice and kind words

We did this hood just like Trey describes. In fact, the entire hood is painted the same color at the same time. It all came out of the same gun. Then my body guy had the bright idea to use flatened clear on the center and I loved it. Didn't put 100,000 miles on it but I did drive it without too much care and never had an issue.

wow, that really does look good

FEP Senior Member

If you're not concerned about the GT on the driver's corner, you could easily remove the scoop and vinyl wrap over it in a matte or satin finish. A local wrap shop can do it pretty quickly. If you want to keep the GT, it's just a little extra work. It may look like a emboss with a layer of vinyl over it which can be a subtle hint it's a GT.