Close

Default Rear suspension question ?

I have noticed in recent months that the rear end housing in my 85 Capri is not centered in the car. It's about 1.5" off center to the passenger side. Also the ride height on the driver side is lower by about the same amount, 1.5 ". These are rough measurements I made with reference to the top of the wheel well on the rear quarter panel. However it is easily seen when looking closely at the car when it's parked on level ground. The car used to sit nice and level on both sides.

I'm pretty sure I probably damaged something drag racing. The car runs low 11's and mid 1.5's 60ft time. The only suspension mods in the rear are BBK gripp upper and lower control arms.

Has anyone ever had similar issues with their cars? I'm going to remove the rear end housing and try to find what the problem is but was wondering if there is something obvious that I should be looking for. I also plan to install some reinforcement for the torque boxes while its apart.

Any suggestion appreciated.

Hi 85,

Don't get too excited. The drive train is definitely oriented to the passenger side. I was always suspicious when I looked at the engine bay of mine but never really checked it out until recently. Early on I tossed the cold air ducts that join the dual air cleaner to the fender wells. I bought replacements from LMR last year and when I finally got around to trying to install them, the Driver side went on ok, the passenger side, no way. It would probably have bent the air intake on the cleaner. I put them in boiling water to soften them up and now they fit well. The passenger side is way more compressed than the driver side.

As to the ride height difference, you'll have to get under the car and check springs and mounting points. I had a Pontiac Grand Am that had a height difference but you couldn't see the rear broken spring until the car was in the air and the rear wheel was off.

Good luck!
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."