Close

Default factory tach with MSD 6al (have adapter)

OK so I was having a spark issue, and in the process of chasing it (it was the magnetic pickup on my pro billet) I unhooked my tach adapter as I heard those can go bad and cause havoc. Previous owner put a giant autogage monster tach and shift light on top of an otherwise perfect black dashpad. I've never liked it and I'd like to hook the factory tach back up. Is this possible, and how do I go about it? The tach adapter on it is older and looks more like the 8910 than the 8920. I've heard the factory tach wires are by the coil?

Car is an 83 capri RS btw
    Last edited by Mentok; 08-15-2018 at 08:40 AM.
    owner of the 666th mercury produced in 1983.......neat fact! black on black 5.0 t-5 capri with no other options but fishnet seats.....coincidence.......perhaps

Well, the tach adapter I have is apparently useless. I disconnected it and the Autometer still works, as it should. To make it even more useless BOTH wires on it are black, with no stripes or markings to tell them apart. How this happened I have no idea. They are black all the way up to where they enter the housing, and the housing is a solid chunk of aluminum with no way of opening it. MSD swears they have always been red and white. Don't know how to try it without risking crossing something. WTF
    owner of the 666th mercury produced in 1983.......neat fact! black on black 5.0 t-5 capri with no other options but fishnet seats.....coincidence.......perhaps