Close

Default Who makes a true turbo muffler without glass packing? Orange County, CA exhaust shop?

I'm going to replace my 85 GT 5.0 muffler and y pipe, due to rust holes at the welds. Hoping to save the tailpipes. In the late 70s and early 80s I always ran a turbo muffler that didn't use fiberglass to quiet them down. Hate the sound of glasspacks. Like the sound of 2 chamber Flowmasters but don't want the loudness or drone. Does anybody still make a true turbo muffler without the fiberglass? Also, does anyone still make the y pipe before the 2 mufflers. The only ones I've seen are listed but not currently being manufactured. And does anyone know of a good exhaust shop in Orange County/Huntington Beach, CA that can weld them in for me? Thanks!
    '85 Mustang GT Convertible, Jalapeno Red, Charcoal Int., Black Top, 5.0 H.O., 4 bbl , 5 speed, No AC, All original except for 8.8 Motorsport rr w/3.55 gears & subframe connectors. Owned since 'August 86. 1 of 574.

Pipe
    Any good auto parts store can get cat to muffler intermediate pipes.
    Or custom made by good muffler shop. Stainless is best. More money but last a long time.

Muffler:
    https://cherrybomb.com/
    Cherry Bomb Turbo on my car. 2.3T, actually sounds like factory did. Oval, lightweight.
    Dual tailpipe tips give car its sound. Muffler adds a tiny bit of hum WOT.
    Been on almost 7 years daily driving, still fine. Very good service for a spin locked seam muffler.
    No rasp, popping, shrillness, resonation, rapping, ricy tones.
    The original is Thrush oval Turbo. Cherry Bomb oval Turbo is same thing. The real deal. Had 'em both.

Am using Easyseal wide band clamps, not welded, so muffler can be changed out when needed.
    Good as weld. Strong. Reusable. They do not wreak the pipes if welding at a later date.
    I hate u clamps. They dent pipes, break, leak, and rust up.
    Added extra universal thick rubber support hanger in front of muffler.

Side note:
    Back in the muscle car days;
    Thrush straight thru round or hemi mufflers were popular. Low back pressure.
    Not glass packs. Glass packs are heavy and loud.
    Thrush round had no packing. Can see straight thru them.
    Similar to resonators only longer. Lightweight. I miss the unique sound they made on a V8.
    I see Cherry Bomb brand is now making them again. So they say. Look the same, same company.
    Am going to try one on my Ranger soon.
    They had good sound. The closer they are to engine, the louder they are.
    Also made in header muffler config. Had welded 3 bolt flange. Bolted straight onto header.
    One would remove 2 bolts and rotate muffler on the 3rd out of the way for open header for street/strip duty.

I put cherry bomb turbos on my old 88 crown Vic. It was still whisper quiet after. I was a bit disappointed, but they were almost $100 cheaper then the stock ones.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

The cb turbo was louder dumped, with no tailpipe.
    Could hear exhaust note. Was a low tone.

Chambered exhaust was a GM 1969 factory option.
    Chevelle, Camaro.
    Really sounded good on a Z/28 or solid lifter 396/375 anything. We could tell if equipped.
    Sidepipes were popular on 60's Corvette. AMX had them. Sold in aftermarket too.
    http://www.classicchambered.com/classic/faq.html

FEP Super Member

I have hooker , cant remember the model name , but no chamber , no glass pack.
    You can see they the offset perforated tube . Mean at open throttle , but pleasant enough for neighborhoods .

I also have run Magna Flow , with no complaints
    Last edited by ashley roachclip; 08-15-2018 at 11:04 PM.
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Dogster,

Regarding post #12 in the thread below.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...line-questions

Could you post some photos of the rear brake line configuration that your car uses? I see that you swapped the 7.5" for an 8.8", but hopefully you remember what brake line and hose configuration the car originally came with that was compatible with dual exhaust.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Dogster,

As to the tips, cut the pipes at the welds and grind until you can separate the carbon tube from the stainless. You may need to get an expander to open the stainless a bit to fit over the new tubes. I ended up slotting mine to get the tube to go over the carbon then clamped it on. Had to replace the over-axle tube and that connection came right apart.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    The cb turbo was louder dumped, with no tailpipe.
    Could hear exhaust note. Was a low tone.

Chambered exhaust was a GM 1969 factory option.
    Chevelle, Camaro.
    Really sounded good on a Z/28 or solid lifter 396/375 anything. We could tell if equipped.
    Sidepipes were popular on 60's Corvette. AMX had them. Sold in aftermarket too.
    http://www.classicchambered.com/classic/faq.html
    Yeah, I've heard a few 69 Z28s back in the day with chambered exhaust. Sounded pretty good but I thought it was pretty loud, at least when you got on it!
    '85 Mustang GT Convertible, Jalapeno Red, Charcoal Int., Black Top, 5.0 H.O., 4 bbl , 5 speed, No AC, All original except for 8.8 Motorsport rr w/3.55 gears & subframe connectors. Owned since 'August 86. 1 of 574.

Will do. Hopefully will have it out of the garage tomorrow. As I recall, the brake lines run in back of the right side muffler so mine will need a shorter muffler, or move the lines. I had the 8.8 put in at a shop in Downey called Kaufmann Products, since the 7.5 rear was grinding and clunking and I need it done quick since I drove the car daily then for awhile. Don't think they touched the brake lines though, looked pretty factory. If they did they never charged me for it.

Thanks! The CB turbo or Thrush oval turbo may be a good choice. I had CBs glasspacks on my first car back in the 70s, a 68 Camaro SS and it would call every cop around. After dumping a ton of money in the motor, a 350 with a big solid lifter cam and 12:1 compression it sounded low and rumbly. Turned a lot of heads, although I'm sure the cam helped, but exhaust was quiet enough that I didn't call every cop when I stepped into it. A friend finally went to Turbos also after he would bend out the back of OEM and aftermarket mufflers with his 71 Chevelle SS with a factory built LS7 454 with I believe, 13:1 pistons and open chambered heads.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamCapri View Post
    Dogster,

As to the tips, cut the pipes at the welds and grind until you can separate the carbon tube from the stainless. You may need to get an expander to open the stainless a bit to fit over the new tubes. I ended up slotting mine to get the tube to go over the carbon then clamped it on. Had to replace the over-axle tube and that connection came right apart.
    Great idea to save the factory tailpipes which are in good shape except for the welds. Have to have the Y since this is a two precats into 1 main cat to the Y and back out to dual mufflers and tailpipes. CA requires cats to be placed at factory positions or it fails the visual inspection.. My neighbor with an 80 Capri gets a notice to go to a STAR emissions station (stricter) every time his registration (plates) are due.

Not many good pre-bent mid-pipe choices for an '85, and few of the local exhaust shops that are left, are still doing quality work.
    The typical parts-store crush-bent stuff is pretty horrible quality.

I used to go to Advance Muffler at Goldenwest and Westminster, but they closed that location.
    Last time I needed exhaust work I used their Long Beach location on PCH near Lemon.
    They were willing to cut off the original stock hanger brackets and weld them to the replacement Super Turbos.
    And as far as I know, they are still willing to bend up 409 stainless.
    Last edited by JACook; 09-13-2018 at 02:48 PM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Thanks. I'll check Advance out!