Close

Default Distributor gear removal

Going to replace my PIP. I fixed some bare wiring under the hood. I had to replace the TFI to get her going. Again, but I only got 4 starts out of her before a no spark condition re-surfaced. Will a cheap 3 prong puller from Harbor Freight work? My cousin that works at the dealer said to put it in a bench vise and tap it off, but it doesn’t fit in my vise in a way that I can do that.

Name:  45F91C07-ADD1-4FC0-BC20-AFA3CA7A9A89.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  65.9 KBName:  45F91C07-ADD1-4FC0-BC20-AFA3CA7A9A89.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  65.9 KB

I have only done one but for the record I used our press at work to remove the gear. There is no way a jaw style puller would've removed it. Just the one I did anyway. It was work for the press to get it started.

FEP Super Member

Torch with map gas , heat the gear , it will slide off .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Thexton makes a tool for removale and install.

https://www.amazon.com/Thexton-415-D.../dp/B000IHM4JU

I tried years ago to remove the gear on the Capris distributor but broke the gear.
    Had to find a replacement distributor online.
    Went the same way, replace thick film, week later stutter home with failing PIP
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

I had occasional PIP codes on my 96 460 which also uses the SD EEC-IV setup. It idled fine and ran OK but when you shove your foot into it the truck the other symptom was it really just wouldn’t get out of it’s own way.

Fixed the usual BS. New dizzy, rotor, cap, fuel filter, etc.

That one turned out to be an issue with insufficient current capacity at the advance spout. Actual connection ohming it out was fine but the wires on the jack were not great and they were hot. They weren’t carrying the current the computer wanted the dizzy to have.

The solution was to cut off the jack and put on a new one via an old injector plug plus solder and shrink tubes.

No more codes. Back to dragging Dakotas and other misc **** down the road sideways at 80 and forgetting it’s there.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    I have only done one but for the record I used our press at work to remove the gear. There is no way a jaw style puller would've removed it. Just the one I did anyway. It was work for the press to get it started.
    Thanks Homer. This is what I feared.

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    Torch with map gas , heat the gear , it will slide off .
    Won’t this distort the gear? Once it is off, how do I get it back on?

Guys, it’s not press fit. There’s a roll pin in the gear. Knock it out and slide the gear off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FEP Super Member

Like the other poster said , remove the pin , heat the gear to remove.
    To reinstall, put distributor 8n the freezer over nite, remove after reheating the gear , and slide it back on the distributor ..
    Be sure to align the pin and gear .
    Oil will cause the gear to be difficult to remove, but a little Emery paper on the shaft makes it go on easily.
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

I took it by my dad (who used to own a small engine repair shop). He put on a welding glove, held the gear in his hand to put some pressure on it, and hit it a few times with a heavy rubber hammer. Apparently this was the same technique that used to work on a gear on Briggs & Stratton engines. I drove the gear back on with an Impact socket and hammer once I replaced the PIP (which definitely had some burn marks on it).

I am not sure when I will get back to the car, but I am ready to stab the rebuild distributor back in. Thanks for the help.

Well, yeah, the pin is the easy part, LOL. I don't believe that needed covering. But (again, I only did one) the gear did not simply "slide off" by any means. I put it in a vice but you don't want to hit the shaft too hard, even with a wood block. Press worked on mine. Apparently after 30 years, it BECAME press fit. Glad you got it going!