Close

Default Will my old holley carb work?

Hello, im new to this carburetor mustang world so im just trying to learn. I have an old holley 80452 600cfm carb that needs a rebuild, would it be a good fit for a stock internal 5.0? I have an edelbrock intake but thats it for now, also looking to do more upgrades just dont know where to start so if anyone would recommend some it would be great! Thanks for helping a newbie!

A 600 CFM dialed in is about perfect for a 302

You want a good one, get/use an old one... is my long-standing and forever opinion. Clean that up good and blow it out real well with compressed air and assemble and adjust it carefully, and you'll be happy with it. It'll work fine with a stock/mild 302, and with it's adequately sized #652 (the "2" means "close limit", an apparent more accurate flow rate... of a #65 main jet) primary main jets in a 600, I would substitute in a regular single-stage part #125-85 8.5"Hg power valve in place of it's original/replacement part #125-208 (10.5"Hg 1st stage & 5.5"Hg 2nd stage) two-stage power valve, as well as a purple secondary diaphragm spring in place of it's original stiff (slow, not fully opening) black spring. Any further super-tuning you want to do... there's a whole candy store full of surprising power and efficiency function enhancement hiding within them, fairly easily accessed... ask away...
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/