Close

Default Curious what others have done with old 7.5 rear ends?

I just upgraded to an 8.8 and wondered what others have done with their 7.5 rear ends. Do they have much value? Did you take it to a salvage yard? If so, did they give you any money? Or do most people just throw away?

Due to its size, it doesn't seem like a part worth hanging onto to "go back to original."

I've read that the slapper bars on it are desirable to some folks.

The slapper bars are pretty cool to me and they do actually help some. I left my last one at the junkyard. Got nothing for it and didn't care. I burned up the posi doing doughnuts in an empty parking lot in the snow. I went around the same direction too many times I guess and all the oil ended up at one end of the axle and burned it up. Had I switched to doing them the other way I suspect it might have lived since it was low-speed, low-RPM doughnuts in the snow.

The 7.5 traction lock is worth a little sumpthin on eBay. That being said I sold my whole axle to a kid that needed one for an 83 he was getting back on the road. Seemed like a good cause so i sold it for $40 and an air grinder.
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

When I did the swap I had a parts car that donated the disc brake 8.8 so I just stuck the 7.5 in its place. That took a little extra work but kept the parts car mobile so that it could be rolled around as needed in the garage. There just happened to be someone on another forum looking for a 7.5 traction lok during that time. Not sure what they go are going for not but got $75 + shipping for it a few years back. When the parts car was hauled off for scrap the old rearend went with it.

Made a trailer for the PTO alternator out of one from a parts car. Put my dried out TRX's on it.

Scrap metal guy picked up the last few. Didn't even save the axles. Can't give the stuff away around here.

My question is about the durability. Considering doing an 8.8 for my 84 RS Turbo, but wondering if it's needed at 2.3 torque levels. I do plan the basic mods to get the hp into the mid 250's. But with it already a Traction Lock and 3.45 gears, is a swap necessary?
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Quote Originally Posted by billkandi View Post
    My question is about the durability. Considering doing an 8.8 for my 84 RS Turbo, but wondering if it's needed at 2.3 torque levels. I do plan the basic mods to get the hp into the mid 250's. But with it already a Traction Lock and 3.45 gears, is a swap necessary?
    The 7.5 seems to be a hit or miss for many. Some people blow them up at stock V8 power levels and others have had them survive at higher V8 power levels. I have had decent luck with, but generally swap them out for an 8.8 when possible.

I wouldn't worry about a good condition 7.5 behind a 2.3 Turbo in most cases, Generally what seems to break the 7.5 is sticky tires and a clutch drop at high RPM in most cases. NO guarantees, but I would run it until it breaks if it were mine. Unless you just come across an 8.8 deal that is too good to pass up. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

The 3.45's are a big positive to keeping the 7.5. Any 8.8 would probably have to have the gears done, and why spend money if you don't need to?
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Since don’t drag race or do burnouts or anything I wasn’t that concerned with breaking the 7.5. I did want to change the axle ratio. It didn’t make sense to try and swap gears in the 7.5. When for a few dollars more I could build a nice 8.8.
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

I managed to sell one with 5 lug axles and no brakes for $50 many years ago. I had another 4 lug drum that was cooked so it went the metal recyclers.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon