Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    Hopefully the images below will help you formulate an answer. They came from the 1986 Mustang EVTM. They are not "wiring doagrams" per se but do show what is relevant to the circuit.

My initial impression of your issue is that there is simply a bad connection that "opens" up randomly somewhere between the ignition switch and the clutch pedal. Maybe it's a wire backing out of a connector or an almost totally broken wire. By "jumping" the bad connection you have made the "open" a non issue. I'm not 100% sure as I don't have an '86 with an auto to look at but I don't believe there is any switch on the T5 involved with starting your car and presume you have seen references to the neutral switch for the automatic trans.
    Thanks, that helps and more or less solidifies what I was thinking too. It does not seem like the Neutral Safety Switch (on the T5) is in the ignition circuit for the 1986 Manual. I had heard conflicting opinions on that, so I had tried to bypass it at one point just to rule that out of the equation. It didn't make any difference (other than screwing up my idle! ) for my starting issue .

I just remembered that I actually have one of those 1986 Mustang EVTM manuals because I bought it a while back when I was chasing down a vacuum leak! I forgot that it also had all the electrical diagrams and illustrations too. So thanks for jarring my memory on that.

My challenge here is that I still can't tell what the wiring really physically does between the Ignition switch and the C201 connector plugged into the Clutch Safety switch. It does NOT seem like it simply goes from one directly to the other. From the ignition switch It seems to go off (starting as white/pink) and do something else and then come back (as red/light-blue) before connecting to the clutch safety switch.

For now, the jumper I added directly between the two (from white/pink on the ignition switch directly to the clutch safety switch) continues to work like a charm though. And doesn't seem to be screwing anything else up that I can tell.

-Eric

FEP Senior Member

Eric, I have a set of full wiring diagrams just for an 86'. I went through them to find out where your problem stems from.
    To start, the white with pink stripe wire from the ignition switch goes two different directions. The first one makes it's way to the ECU to a pin in the middle row on one side of the bolt. This is to let the computer know it is in the crank mode.

The second circuit goes from the ignition switch to the small harness that goes through the transmission tunnel by the drivers seat. There it will either go to the neutral safety switch on an Automatic transmission, or it just loops back, and changes color to red with light blue stripe and goes to the clutch switch.

So I would guess that the jumper connection at the trans is where you will find your problem.
    Good luck.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by dynodon64 View Post
    Eric, I have a set of full wiring diagrams just for an 86'. I went through them to find out where your problem stems from.
    To start, the white with pink stripe wire from the ignition switch goes two different directions. The first one makes it's way to the ECU to a pin in the middle row on one side of the bolt. This is to let the computer know it is in the crank mode.

The second circuit goes from the ignition switch to the small harness that goes through the transmission tunnel by the drivers seat. There it will either go to the neutral safety switch on an Automatic transmission, or it just loops back, and changes color to red with light blue stripe and goes to the clutch switch.

So I would guess that the jumper connection at the trans is where you will find your problem.
    Good luck.
    Don
    Don, thanks, I really appreciate the help.

I'll look at that this weekend when I can get the car up in the air again.

From my memory though, I am 99% sure that my wiring harness under the car does go to the neutral safety switch located at the top of the T5. And I have never seen an loopback jumper under there anywhere ( but I can't say I've ever specifically looked for one either!).
    So let me check it out and see. It would be great if it turns out to be something as simple as re-seating or replacing a loopback plug.

It sounds like my temporary jumper wire directly connecting the white/pink on the ignition switch to the clutch safety switch is probably just completing the same circuit as the actual wiring harness would do on a manual, so shouldn't be causing any harm for now I guess.

-Eric

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Don, thanks, I really appreciate the help.

I'll look at that this weekend when I can get the car up in the air again.

From my memory though, I am 99% sure that my wiring harness under the car does go to the neutral safety switch located at the top of the T5. And I have never seen an loopback jumper under there anywhere ( but I can't say I've ever specifically looked for one either!).
    So let me check it out and see. It would be great if it turns out to be something as simple as re-seating or replacing a loopback plug.

It sounds like my temporary jumper wire directly connecting the white/pink on the ignition switch to the clutch safety switch is probably just completing the same circuit as the actual wiring harness would do on a manual, so shouldn't be causing any harm for now I guess.

-Eric
    That harness goes to the reverse light switch on the side of the trans, but it also has a jumper wire in there too. You'll see it as soon as you look for it. It's a very short wire in the plug on the trans side of the harness.

Quote Originally Posted by dynodon64 View Post
    That harness goes to the reverse light switch on the side of the trans, but it also has a jumper wire in there too. You'll see it as soon as you look for it. It's a very short wire in the plug on the trans side of the harness.
    Ok, finally got a chance to put it up on the jack today.

The loopback connection you are talking about is a bit further back and tucked away, so it wasn't so obvious. I thought it would be up closer to the front of the tranny.

Anyway, I took some pics. I believe this must be what you are referring to (see first pic taken facing from the back end looking forward).
    Is that it?

The second pic is the same connection take from the front end looking backward.

I did NOT disconnect it or try to take any measurements on it yet. Those clips have a nasty habbit of snapping so I figured I'd rather confirm whether that's it first before I take it apart to measure with the multimeter.

Name:  DSC_0612.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  136.5 KB
    Name:  DSC_0579.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  171.4 KB

Thanks,
    Eric

FEP Senior Member

That looks like the right one. If it goes to the reverse light switch on the left side of the trans, that's it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123