Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Very, very nice. Definitely not all original including paint though. The black down the center of the hood and the hood itself have at least been painted as they made the classic mistake and only blacked out the raised section. And that is a late 84 which I have never seen WITHOUT the pull out thigh bolsters but certainly I wouldn't say that none ever left the factory that way. They could've been just using up what they had in inventory.

Hood stripe looks like original style to me? And it looks like an "early" 84, not late, to me?

Exhaust is not original though. And the wheels obviously are not original either.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Super Member

What fox said , I have an early 84 , and it is all original paint .
    The hood is exactly as it left the factory .
    I agree the Dual exhaust is not original as obviously neither are the wheels .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

The 84 1/2 Gt's had the airdam with foglights (like the 85-86) and the rear spoiler was not a three piece either. I've owned 2 84's GT's.

Looks like a great car to me. If the overall condition matches the 24k miles, I'd say $15k is a fair asking price....I mean, Dennis Collins would pimp it at B-J for $25k Dual exhaust is not a crime, and can be restored to original if you really wanted to. Add $1,200 for a set of new 16" TRX wheels and modern rubber and you have a very nice, period correct 4-eye GT!
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Hood stripe looks like original style to me? And it looks like an "early" 84, not late, to me?

Exhaust is not original though. And the wheels obviously are not original either.
    I know all this. The ad says it is a 84 1/2 right in the title so I took his word that he knew what that meant. I didn't actually see that it had the early nose so my bad. It still looks to me like the black is all the way up against the Bump in the hood and not out 3/4-1 inch like it should be. The STRIPES look right but the black still doesn't too me. Hard to tell on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by rbmcobra View Post
    The 84 1/2 Gt's had the airdam with foglights (like the 85-86) and the rear spoiler was not a three piece either. I've owned 2 84's GT's.
    I've owned 2 early 84 GTs and a 84 1/2 GT 350 and a 84 1/2 GT Turbo.

Looks like a little piping repair is needed on driver's seat and the bottom seat cushions probably need a refresh (cloth is a little saggy). Is that black fuzz or grease on the driver's seat upper? I don't want to argue with anyone here, but I'm kind of thinking the hood paint/stripe may be original? I think it compares well with this well-known 1800 mile car (sorry, that's the best pic of the red car I could find). Obviously this car would show much better with a proper interior detailing, better lighting and photos, and some LMR TRXs. Price isn't crazy. Does anyone know of a better copper Fox Mustang on the planet??

Name:  00F0F_4P5sfEsPmv1_1200x900.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  111.6 KBName:  mump-1102-01-o+1984-ford-mustang-gt-convertible+front-driver-side-view.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  63.7 KB
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

FEP Super Member

The black on the hood from the factory follows the cowl , down the raised edge of the bump , to the grill .
    It does not go any further into the flat part of the hood .
    The car in question is correct , and would be the same on the 84.5 model year as well .

The paint appears to be also original , looking at the factory stripes down the side .
    My question is , why no clutch pedal pad , with 24.000 miles .
    Last edited by ashley roachclip; 08-08-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    The black on the hood from the factory follows the cowl , down the raised edge of the bump , to the grill .
    It does not go any further into the flat part of the hood .
    The car in question is correct , and would be the same on the 84.5 model year as well .

The paint appears to be also original , looking at the factory stripes down the side .
    My question is , why no clutch pedal pad , with 24.000 miles .
    That is not correct and I'm not sure what facts you could possibly base that on. I'm assuming you have pictures of them that are 100% original that are not this way? It was Ford in the '80s. Please post up those pictures. Here is Sowaxman's (Jason's) 100% original car. He is a member here obviously and an MCA judge. So Tell him he is a liar I suppose. Every original one I have ever seen is this way. The GT Turbo I had that was also 100% original (and very rough) was also this way. I can post pictures of that tired (but correct) paint job if you wish.

EDIT

Last edited by homer302; 08-09-2018 at 05:49 PM.

I believe Gateway Classic Cars had a very similar color combo 84GT like this one almost a year ago, but it was a automatic. It’s probably in this fyi board. I’d love to buy this and put those new trx wheels on from LMR, I have too many other vehicles.

FEP Super Member

Homer , at the risk of getting banned , I will be polite .
    Do you in fact own an original paint 83 or 84 Mustang .
    I in fact do , and I am the second owner .
    To call any one a liar is absurd.
    I have owned not one , but 7 83 and 84 Mustang Gt's with original paint .
    Not a single one of them were as you described .
    Lose the testosterone,
    Internet bullys are not allowed here .
    At 60 , I have seen and touched more of these cars while working g for Ford , as a tech , than you have most likely .
    I will post pictures of my original paint Gt tomorrow as I am getting g ready to eat my supper .
    In my photos you will see the original factory applied stripe that that separates the color from the flat black .
    Good day to you sir .

Listen guys, is it possible that both of you are correct? We know that Ford sometimes did different things. Unfortunately, I can't use my 84 as an example, because it's obviously had the hood repainted.

I'm pretty sure that I've seen cars as described by Ashley, but here is one for sale that looks like paint could be original and it looks more like homer describes.

https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...lberta-t3k-3v7

Name:  8649033-1984-ford-mustang-gt-std.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  152.4 KB

Name:  2018-08-09_22-40-42.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  41.8 KB
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

Name:  IMG_1027.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  93.0 KB

1983 GT with original paint and stripes. I think there could be a variation based on where the tape stripe was put down since the tape stripe includes both the accent stripe and paint color. I do have an original 84 GT hood and fully accept there could have been a slight difference between 83 & 84...just as I believe there were slight variations from car to car. Quality is Job 1...
    Last edited by 83GTJIM; 08-10-2018 at 09:34 AM.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

FEP Super Member

I will be the first to admit when I am wrong , and I was .
    I went and looked at my car after supper , and Homer's description is fairly accurate .
    I took pictures , but dont know how to post them .
    The black does go about 1/2 " onto the flat part of the hood along side the bulge.

Again I apologize, but when some one implies that I called some one a liar , it gets my panties in a bunch .
    I will see if I can figure out how to post a picture .

Image #5 in the CL ad does indeed show black paint not only on the raised part of the hood but also extending onto the flat part of the hood before it gets to the color-keyed stripe. So original paint?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Frankly, it is difficult for me to tell the difference in the kind of grainy Craigslist photos and the ones that have been attached by the FEP folks here. Doesn't the Copper GT have the 1/2 on the hood like Homer says?? I need my readers I guess. Would be great if someone was interested in it that lived nearby and can inspect in person. Curiousity...... have not seen a Copper GT in quite sometime.

Quick correction....I am NOT an MCA judge as noted earlier, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

You guys are also looking at/comparing/arguing over two different stripe kits as was done from the factory...which can play tricks on the eyes. Look a the stripes on the Red, White and Copper cars as pictured (and Silver was the same)....it is hood blackout with a thin black accent stripe to complete the edge. Black cars (like my old car) with the hood blackout got a dual silver pinstripe to accent the edge. Either way, the flat black clearly rolls off the hood cowl and onto the flat part of the hood about 1/2" as clearly pictured in this thread.

This car looks VERY original to me. As for the clutch pedal pad, a bit odd for sure but not anything that surprises me and can't be fixed. Hell I've actually kicked mine of my car a time or two...it's not like these pedals are spaced out the best for tall people that like to stick their foot all the way to the floor on the left and then have to bring them back into quick action.
    Last edited by sowaxeman; 08-10-2018 at 12:20 PM.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Yep. I'm buying this is original now for sure. Mick has the trick to get the photos to look much better somehow. Probably from looking upside down and sideways at those buck tags we have posted for years. No worries Ashley, I am not good at writing so much. That's why I think social media is a blessing and a curse. You can't get your "Tone" across in a text based media. I was simply meaning do you have pictures of one that way because it would not surprise me if it was done differently at one time since it was "Ford in the '80s" as I said.

I wonder if part of the reason the stripes look different has to do with how the stripes were installed at the factory and the actual color of the car compared to the stripes. Here are pictures from the Gallery. Although not great, they look very similar to what I see on the GT in question.

83 Model

Name:  83cover1.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  39.7 KB

84 Model

Name:  84mustang12_13.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  130.2 KB
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Group hug.....

Ok, so who's stepping up to the plate and buying this one?

Where is evil Joe
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Group hug.....

Ok, so who's stepping up to the plate and buying this one?

Where is evil Joe
    I spoke with them, considered it. This is the 3rd Bright Copper 84GT to turn up in the past couple weeks, 1 being a Turbo car.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn V View Post
    Listen guys, is it possible that both of you are correct?
    YES! I said that twice already above! It was FORD in the '80s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast