Close

Default Main bearing cap torque

Tried searching and have found numbers from 70 to 110 ft/lbs for main bearing torque specs. For the main bearing/crank what are you all torquing them to with stock type bolts? And rods range from 19 to 45. Quite a range!
    Last edited by richpet; 08-05-2018 at 07:02 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

302 assumed...
    Mains: 60-70 ft-lbs
    Rods: 19-24 ft-lbs
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Assumption correct. I was thinking that but saw those other numbers out there.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    302 assumed...
    Mains: 60-70 ft-lbs
    Rods: 19-24 ft-lbs
    I concur.
    '79 Fairmont Futura
    '79 Mercury Zephyr wagon
    '83 LTD Wagon - future Mustang "Sport" Wagon
    '84 Mercury Capri RS - 5.0 5spd
    Owner of Victory Engines and Machining, LLC
    g2G

Reminders for friends because we all forget stuff

Get new hardware for your bottom end. ARP will have advise on specs for their hardware with stock parts

Platigauge your bearings dry before final assembly and torque.

Use assembly lube when doing final assembly.

Keeping bearing tolerance at 0.001 less than maximum tolerance gives great performance while ensuring a long life. Front main with a lot of accessories may knock there — go 0.002 less than max tolerance range.

Last engine I put together was 0.004 across the board if memory serves me correctly.

If any tolerances are too loose usually one light pull with a brand new file held square to the cap is all that’s needed to pull it into spec.

These things are all very cheap insurance.

Other than that, don’t spin hardware faster than it’s designed and you won’t have problems generally

And for pete’s sake don’t use synthetic during ring break-in. 10w40 is all we ever used. Coat the bores, tap in the pistons, get it assembled and fired ASAP. Prime the oil pump first....

zinc additive for flat tappet cams

Granted some stuff is dumb luck. Like a healthy but well worn 1/2 million mile mill that gets routinely power shifted at 6100......
    Last edited by erratic50; 08-07-2018 at 08:11 PM.

Odds are the motor will be assembled and sit for a few months in my shop, just nature of the budget beast. But I will be using plenty of assembly lube, keeping it clean during and after. If i can I will even 'pre-lube' it occasionally to get oil in most places while it sits, install actual distributor right close to install.

Appreciate the tips - I remembered most of that but will NEVER complain about being reminded. No ego when it comes to getting it right.

A really good resource for the home engine builder is "Engine Blueprinting" by Rick Voegelin. It's not Ford specific, but has lots of good solid information for any build. Easy to find on Amazon. Good luck with your engine.
    '79 Fairmont Futura
    '79 Mercury Zephyr wagon
    '83 LTD Wagon - future Mustang "Sport" Wagon
    '84 Mercury Capri RS - 5.0 5spd
    Owner of Victory Engines and Machining, LLC
    g2G