Close

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTJIM View Post
    Oh please don't fix all the chips and dings! Nothing looks too bad too me. I like to see things like the top of the pass side fender. Those are the things that make this car so cool...its a super clean original car showing just enough of its age. You just can't find them like this anymore. Sounds like this car landed in the right hands and can't wait to see more. BTW, the picture is a little blurry but yes, those do look like the factory supplied spark plug wires. The magnet thing, is that not on the fuel line instead of an AC line?
    I'm not sure to what the magnet thing is attached to. I've only had the car about 72 hours and haven't completely familiarized myself with it.

Regarding those chips, scratches and dings...... The dilemma is do I retain a certain patina or try to make this car the best version of itself? We are currently having that conversation with my committee of car friends. I could go either way. The primered area on the front spoiler will need to be addressed in either event.

So maybe let me ask the FEP community.

1) Retain as much patina as possible?

or

2) Touch up the chips and have a PDR guy go around the car?

Last edited by chazman; 08-20-2018 at 12:42 PM.

The undercarriage of this car is immaculate!! It even looks like the factory exhaust! I'll post some pics after I power wash it.

Soon my attention will turn to the leaky carb. Looks like a leaky accelerator pump. I figure warped housing or leaky diaphragm???

What's a good source for carb parts?

Name:  IMG_2916.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  79.0 KB
    Last edited by chazman; 08-22-2018 at 09:58 AM.

I had to take these this morning to send to my insurance agent. I figured I'd share them here as well.

Name:  IMG_2909.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  143.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2910.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  155.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2911.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  144.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2912.jpg
Size:  146.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2913.jpg
Size:  104.7 KB

Man, what a transformation. Love the red interior, it looks mint!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Man, what a transformation. Love the red interior, it looks mint!
    Thanks!

So, I was snooping under the hood tonight, and gas is squirting out of the accelerator pump weephole like a mofo. I was hoping to do the lazy man's repair and replace the diaphragm with the carb on the car, but there is also gas leaking further lower down and towards the passenger side, so it's going to have to come off. I guess I'll order a rebuild kit.

Name:  IMG_2920.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  70.5 KB

Also, the EGR looks like it's leaking.

Name:  IMG_2921.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  98.4 KB

And lookie here, look what I found under the air cleaner. I'd bet this is the original coil, mistakenly left there when it was replaced. Who knows how many years it's been sitting there!

Name:  IMG_2922.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  72.8 KB
    Last edited by chazman; 08-23-2018 at 08:59 AM.

So to answer the previous question on the plug wires, yes they are original, date coded 1982.

Oh, and that crazy magnet thing, is spliced into the fuel line. So, I guess I need a new line if I'm going to dump it.

I need help from the experts!

What do we think of this rebuild kit. Claims to have ethanol resistant parts.
    http://www.carburetion.com/Products/...?part=KT-5316D

Spent all day cleaning and fiddling on it today. I don't usually have that kind of time, so it was fun and relaxing, but hot! 90* today.

I power washed the undercarriage and engine compartment the other day being careful to avoid any electronics. After that it wouldn't start. Just a fast, click, click, click, like the battery was dead, but it was fully charged. And then it started like nothing happened, and then it wouldn't start.

I jiggled the negative battery cable and got a huge arc. Apparently most of the insulation was gone on it. I wrapped it all up with tape until I can replace it. Same thing happened today, until I jiggled the cable into the right spot.

Name:  IMG_2925.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  120.5 KB

BTW, the silver paint in the floor pans looks almost better than the paint on the body. Once those are wiped down, they'll look spectacular!

I also plugged up a couple of annoying exhaust leaks on that pipe located on the passenger side of the cat with JB Weld and adjusted the heat shield so it would stop rattling.

I've been trying to air out the interior for a couple days. It's kind of stinky, like old man and old dog or something. I've cleaned, stink bombed, and kept it outside with the windows opened for a couple of days. I'm making progress.

Name:  IMG_2927.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  98.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2928.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  113.7 KB

A couple of random engine pics.

Name:  IMG_2926.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  124.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2930.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  134.3 KB
    Last edited by chazman; 08-26-2018 at 07:47 PM.

Looking great! I see you still have the flux capacitor installed

Quote Originally Posted by 1983-GT View Post
    Looking great! I see you still have the flux capacitor installed

I figure the time to get rid of it would be when I remove the carb. Having a hard time finding a replacement fuel line though.

Looks a lot nicer than my new 82. Love the silver

Quote Originally Posted by svtrichie View Post
    Looks a lot nicer than my new 82. Love the silver
    Thanks!

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by chazman View Post
    I need help from the experts!

What do we think of this rebuild kit. Claims to have ethanol resistant parts.
    http://www.carburetion.com/Products/...?part=KT-5316D
    Car looks great! I hope you can get rid of the smell!

For the carb kits, not sure of the one you linked.

I bought one from these guys. Being in Canada helped, but I think they ship worldwide also.

http://www.carburetor.ca/

Quick search found another place in the US:

http://www.carburetor-parts.com/by-C...es_c_1152.html

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Car looks great! I hope you can get rid of the smell!

For the carb kits, not sure of the one you linked.

I bought one from these guys. Being in Canada helped, but I think they ship worldwide also.

http://www.carburetor.ca/

Quick search found another place in the US:

http://www.carburetor-parts.com/by-C...es_c_1152.html
    Thanks! I ordered this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCRAFT-...53.m2749.l2649

Anyone have a source for a carb to pump fuel line? I haven't been able to find one. I need to replace it to remove that magnet thing.

Thanks! I ordered this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCRAFT-...53.m2749.l2649

Anyone have a source for a carb to pump fuel line? I haven't been able to find one. I need to replace it to remove that magnet thing.

Aaaah, so that's what it is connected to. Maybe its a 1980's CA emissions thing. Haha wouldn't surprise me. There will be solar panels required on cars in California someday in attempt to replace wasteful alternators. kidding, but I don't doubt for a second that its been considered at some point.

Also waiting to see if LMR has a Labor Day sale or something, before I order their wheel/tire combo.

Quote Originally Posted by 1983-GT View Post
    Aaaah, so that's what it is connected to. Maybe its a 1980's CA emissions thing. Haha wouldn't surprise me. There will be solar panels required on cars in California someday in attempt to replace wasteful alternators. kidding, but I don't doubt for a second that its been considered at some point.
    Yeah, I have no idea on what the original owner was trying to accomplish with that thing.

Engine bay looks like new. Question - the drivers side front air dam (in front of the front tire) looks weird. Is there an issue with the paint on those panels?
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Engine bay looks like new. Question - the drivers side front air dam (in front of the front tire) looks weird. Is there an issue with the paint on those panels?
    Thanks! There's some filler and gray primer there. I'm planning on re-doing it.

BTW, the PDR guy I've been after for weeks, says he's coming this weekend. I hope he can get those big roof dents out.

Yeah, I have no idea on what the original owner was trying to accomplish with that thing.
    One of those internet/late night TV commercials that claim using their magnets on the fuel line will increase power and/or mileage. I doubt it, but I am sure that is what the installer was trying to do.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Two things happened today.

1) I left work early.

2) My Dr. Color Chip kit came in.

I need to go around the car a few more times but it's looking fresher already.

The leading edge of the hood and scoop were sandblasted with many hundreds of tiny chips. Too many to hit individually, I used the squeegee on those areas.

Name:  IMG_2931.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  72.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2936.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  42.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2932.jpg
Size:  77.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2933.jpg
Size:  69.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2934.jpg
Size:  66.5 KB
    Last edited by chazman; 08-27-2018 at 10:39 PM.

One more...

Name:  IMG_2935.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  82.3 KB

I know you guys aren't into my IROCs, so I'm posting these Mustang reflection pics for artistic reasons.

Name:  IMG_2940.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  58.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2938.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  60.5 KB
    Last edited by chazman; 08-27-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast