Close

FEP Power Member

Default Here's my 1985 GT Canadian Cobra!

Finally got it registered and licensed. Went for a solo cruise a few days ago..

Current setup:
    127,000 Kms (80,000 miles)
    Original Jalapeno Red paint with no rust anywhere
    T-Top roof
    Air conditioning
    Power windows
    Power locks
    Original 5 speed
    Ceramic coated shorty headers, Magnaflow Cats, Flowmaster 40’s and 2.5” Tails
    8.8 rear end, girdle, Ford Racing 3.55 gears
    Ford Racing aluminum driveshaft
    4 wheel disc brakes: Mustang aero 11” front brakes – cross drilled, turbocoupe rear disc brakes, Lincoln Master Cylinder, Ford Racing Adjustable Proportioning valve
    Solid steering shaft
    Lowered over 2” (Too low for my liking...but I'll change that soon)
    All struts/shocks/quad shocks have been replaced
    Caster Camber Plates – neutral alignment
    Strut bar in engine bay
    G-load brace on k-member
    Welded subframe connectors
    3 core aluminum rad
    Hi-miler blue rad hoses
    Headlight relays – Headlights, parking lights, brake lights, dash lights etc. converted to LED (H4 headlights look stock not ricer).
    Rear tail lights with painted stripes like the SVO
    Full leather SVO interior
    SVO Steering wheel recovered in black leather
    SONY high power (400W) head unit with blue tooth, JBL rear speakers, pyle front speakers, bazooka active bass tube
    SVO filter lid
    Clutch quadrant, adjustable in engine bay clutch cable (FORD)

And some pics...

85GT08 by Boomer85GT, on Flickr

86GT05 by Boomer85GT, on Flickr

85GT01 by Boomer85GT, on Flickr

85GT02 by Boomer85GT, on Flickr

85GT03 by Boomer85GT, on Flickr

85GT07 by Boomer85GT, on Flickr

85GT06 by Boomer85GT, on Flickr

I like the seats. Its very clean!

Very nice!

Nice car! Love the seats and several other things about it.

I prefer a few of the other wheels options on a four eye, but going up to 16" sure opens up options on rubber.

FEP Senior Member

Great looking car. I hope you get to drive it before the snow falls.

Just wow. Hard to not love a T-top 4-eyed fox!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super sweet. I'm looking for a car like it. I like the interior, especially the seats. What's not to like! You have one of the best color combinations out there an my favorite. The blacked out hood and headlight bezels make the car. Every modification you did in on my list as well as a few others. Like you, I don't like Foxes which have the ride height lowered. At my age it's easier to get in and out of and typically a better ride with new spring, struts, and shocks at OEM height. That steering wheel is my favorite, the cruise control and air bag steering wheels on other year Foxes look cheesie in my opinion.

In my opinion your 85 GT or the Capri RS are the 2 best Foxes to own period. They have the roller motor and Holley carb, tons of potential options to make the car fly. They are comparatively lighter than the other years. The potential is there to drop even more weight installing a lighter K-Member, aluminum heads, and dropping all the pollution control equipment and exhaust . Above all else, the '85 cars look cooler overall inside and out, oozing the best looks and design cues of all Four Eye Foxes!

Both '85 Foxes I owned, the gov. mandated 85 mph speedo was first to go, the Motorsports 140mph unit went in place. Your car reads in KM/h , this may not be isn't an issue for you. These cars easily exceed limits of the stock unit in 3rd gear. A higher reading speedo is essential. I don't know much about the Canadian cars, was there a Cobra option for your car, or is that it tribute to the '93 Cobras?

I am both envious and jealous of you sir. You have the car which I am looking for.

Wow that is a very nice 85 GT and to top it off it is a Canadian Cobra. I had an 85 for over 25 years. For those who are not familiar the "Cobra" is just a decal that went in the middle of the rear spoiler. It was only offered in Canada...no other differences with the car compared to the US model.

Was also wondering did this car also get a 5 lug conversion?

Also what type of headlights are you running? I am looking to replace my OEM ones on my 82 as they are very yellow and want something more white. Any suggestions?

Overall you did very well here. I too would probably prefer a 1 to 1.5 inch drop on the fox.

FEP Senior Member

Canadian Mustang GTs had "Cobra" stickers on the rear spoiler for several years, after the 3rd brake light in the rear spoiler was implemented starting in 86, the "Cobra sticker moved to the right side of the spoiler. I think they used the "Cobra" sticker right thru 1993s. But mechanically, the car was no different mechanically than a US Mustang GT. When I raced my Mustang in NHRA Stocker Eliminator, I ran it as a 85 5.0 car. Since it was actually a 1986 LX 4 cylinder automatic car, it had the rear spoiler with a 3rd brake light, I either had to find a non spoiler hatch, so I could claim it as a 85 5.0 LX, or find a 85 "no brake light" spoiler. I lucked out, and found a 85 spoiler, and lucky for me, it was white, so I did not even need to repaint it.Name:  PhotoScan6 (3) - Copy.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  97.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mcfairmont; 11-03-2018 at 11:16 PM.
    1978 Fairmont 2 door sedan, 428CJ 4speed. 9.972ET@132.54mph. 1.29 60 foot
    Replaced the FE big block with my 331/4 speed in my Fairmont, best 10.24ET @128 MPH.
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.
    1979 Zephyr Z7, all original 302 auto, 2nd owner.

That is beautiful and in great condition. I really like those front seats.

Wow, you've got a real beauty with some tasteful mods. I have the 'convertible sibling to yours (Canadian 1985 GT 'vert in Jalapena Red).

Looks great! Hey, I know it was like that when you got it but as far as you can see, was anything modified to run that OEM dual snorkel air cleaner setup with that MM strut tower brace? The pic is just a little to far away for me to zoom in. I see the coil was moved, not sure if that was because of the brace or not. That's a sweet ride.

The more I look at this car, the more in love with it I become. This is the exact 85 GT I am looking to buy, exterior and interior color combos, spoiler, steering wheel, T-Tops, EVERYTHING! Oh man am I jealous. I want your car, well one just like it anyway. Are the leather seats out of an older GT or did you have the originals reupholstered? Where did you get the upholstery covers if so?

Does anyone know if these cars are easier to find in Canada versus the US? Has anyone purchased a Canadian GT - or any car and imported it to the US? What about import export taxes, titling or other fees paid? What is the procedure to buy then import a car to the US?

That steering wheel is my favorite? If I end up buying a cruise equipped car, I will want to remove the cruise wheel and put the 3 spoke leather SVO wheel in place. I don't use cruise on a stick car anyway. Can that SVO wheel and horn pad still be purchased new?

Beautiful Car. Man, don't ever sell it, you will be sorry, just as I am for selling both my 85 GT and 85 RS. Both had T-tops and were the identical colors inside and out..
    Last edited by RS_Capri_85_5.0; 11-04-2018 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RS_Capri_85_5.0 View Post
    The more I look at this car, the more in love with it I am. It is the exact 85 GT I am looking to buy, exterior and interior color combos, spoiler, steering wheel, T-Tops, EVERYTHING! Oh man am I jealous. I want that car, well one just like it anyway. Does anyone know if these cars are easier to find in Canada versus the US? Has anyone bought a Canadian GT - any car and imported it to the US? What about import export taxes, titling or other fees paid, what is the procedure to bring the car to the US?

That steering wheel is my favorite, if I end up buying a cruise equipped car, I will want to remove the cruise wheel and put the 3 spoke leather SVO wheel in place. I don't use cruise on a stick car anyway. Can that SVO wheel and horn pad still be purchased new?
    If you are from the US, yes if you can find a car in Canada go for it because your US dollar is so strong compared to our CDN dollar. The challenge is there are a lot more cars in the US....though good 85s do come up for sale every once in awhile in Canada. There was a really nice black 85 GT T-top for sale a couple of years ago which I snoozed on. However I really wanted an 82 and those are almost extinct here in Canada and I have to go to the US to look. Fortunately, I managed to come across my dream 82 and just imported it about 3 weeks ago. Importing from the US to Canada is a convoluted process but I will know what to do the next time. I would suspect there is a fair amount of paperwork and procedure as well going the opposite way but if you find a good deal here in Canada.....Go for it, because at the end it is worth it! You will also save a lot of money.

I'm having terrible luck using google searches trying to find what I want. Since you recently located your car, you know what I mean. If anyone has any idea where to look you might, since you are in Canada and were looking everywhere.

Originally I wanted the Capri RS that is identical to your car. However a lack of viable cars (0) in multiple searches per day, caused me to open my search parameters up to 85 GT's as well. What cars do turn up here in the states, are I'd say 85% convertibles, with absolutely ridiculous asking prices. Many are located at these 'niche' boutique' classic auto stores that apparently gobble up all the cars they can then mark the prices up to crazy levels. Since these places have most of the advertised cars you'll find in a search, they can set such high prices, being the only game in town. A person searching has no other choice than to wait, and hopefully something decent will pop up in private hands.

Even when I open a search up to include all cars from 1985 to 1993 nationwide, I continue to see mostly the convertibles, there again at the Boutique dealers with the stupid prices. Example: 93 Cobras here range from 18K$ the single lowest priced high mileage (136Kmi) example I could find, going right on up to 30K$, then 39K$, 49k$, even 59K$ and more. Talk about discouraging,..it's disgusting. Many of these cars were made in huge numbers,, hundreds of thousands per year. There is no way that all of them are gone, wrecked, raced, junk, with a small number left in dealer hands or put away waiting for prices to skyrocket.

Can you, or ANYONE, point me toward places to look, online, offline, something dedicated to the Fox GT and RS cars? I must be missing something, I'm searchin 6-10 pages deep into Google Search engine every day,looking for a car. I don't belong to Facebook, or any other forum than Four Eye, and would/do not know what other sites out there is to search. Recommendations are greatly appreciated, while helping me by maintain sanity during the search for the perfect car.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by RS_Capri_85_5.0 View Post
    Can you, or ANYONE, point me toward places to look, online, offline, something dedicated to the Fox GT and RS cars? I must be missing something, I'm searchin 6-10 pages deep into Google Search engine every day,looking for a car. I don't belong to Facebook, or any other forum than Four Eye, and would/do not know what other sites out there is to search. Recommendations are greatly appreciated, while helping me by maintain sanity during the search for the perfect car.
    If you're looking for a similar car, all I can suggest is keep searching online through Google, Ebay, Kijiji, Craiglist, local Mustang club forums, etc. If I come across one I'll send you a PM. The prices are in some cases outrageous but I doubt they are actually selling for asking amount. Good luck with the search. Importing a car from Canada is fairly simple, just need the signed ownership and a bill of sale and email a form to border crossing point. I'm planning to attend the Carlisle Ford show in June 2019 if you want a good look at the car. Cheers!
    Last edited by Boomer85gt; 11-05-2018 at 08:47 AM.

For the money here it seems like a good deal. Car is located about 45 minutes from where I live.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustan...tb2zri&vxp=mtr