Close

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Cleaned up the engine compartment slightly, it's really going to look spectacular when it's all said and done!
    Name:  IMG_2887.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  111.7 KB

Okay I needs some help, what is this thing halfassedly wired to the compressor and where/how is it supposed to go?

Name:  IMG_2888.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  89.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2889.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  63.4 KB
    Last edited by chazman; 08-18-2018 at 12:04 AM.

Louvers were installed with brackets siliconed to the back window. Yuck!

Name:  IMG_2892.jpg
Size:  64.7 KBName:  IMG_2891.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  74.9 KB

Steering wheel was almost mint under the cover. In fact the interior is like a 8.5 out of 10.Name:  IMG_2893.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2894.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  72.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2896-2.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  74.1 KB

Some of the crap removed today.Name:  IMG_2898.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  72.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2895.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  77.8 KB

So, this car is amazingly original, unmolested and rust free. The interior is amazing. Everything works on it. It will light up those old TRXs like nothing. Things to address: exhaust leak, bleed the brakes. BTW, this car has the original wipers, headlights and I'm pretty sure ignition wires. Even the AC works, but not very cold.

Ok, I'm beat guys, (but in a good way), I'll be posting more later.
    Last edited by chazman; 08-18-2018 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chazman View Post
    Okay I needs some help, what is this thing halfassedly wired to the compressor and where/how is it supposed to go?

Name:  IMG_2888.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  89.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2889.jpg
Size:  63.4 KB
    What that is, is a magnet. I have NO Idea why that is there or what purpose it is supposed to serve. The only reason I know what that is a magnet is because I had 3 of those installed on my water line in my house back in TX to help with the high mineral content of the water. Supposedly it helps to keep the minerals in suspension and not drop out to clog up your hot water heater, leave residue on your shower doors, etc. I can't guarantee that is does all it says, but I will say we didn't use a water softner like everyone else and I didn't have any issues and my hot water heater didn't have any excessive build up for the 10 years we lived in the house.

I would cut the thing off and leave it off the car if it were me.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    What that is, is a magnet. I have NO Idea why that is there or what purpose it is supposed to serve. The only reason I know what that is a magnet is because I had 3 of those installed on my water line in my house back in TX to help with the high mineral content of the water. Supposedly it helps to keep the minerals in suspension and not drop out to clog up your hot water heater, leave residue on your shower doors, etc. I can't guarantee that is does all it says, but I will say we didn't use a water softner like everyone else and I didn't have any issues and my hot water heater didn't have any excessive build up for the 10 years we lived in the house.

I would cut the thing off and leave it off the car if it were me.
    Crazy! I wonder what the original owner thought it would do on the compressor? Anyway, thanks. That thing is coming off.
    Last edited by chazman; 08-18-2018 at 01:01 AM.

Wow Chaz, that car is looking way better than I thought it might. I was worried for you, but not anymore.
    What is that line with the magnet connected too? Is that a coolant loop, looks like it goes down to the intake or something, or does that actually attach the the compressor?. Usually things like a steering wheel wrap hide a worn out wheel, so its refreshing to see it was protecting a nice one.
    But, I will say those wheels are not soft & sticky by any means, so it was likely added for a better grip?

Keep up work & the picts, I am sure you'll be out there later this morning.

Are those original spark plug wires? Jim would know for sure, as he has hunted for those in the past & is an expert on them. I think they are date coded if I recall correctly.
    my 83 was completely original up until a few years ago when the original owner decided to bring it to a local mechanic to go over everything to address a few oil leaks & tune it up after many years of just sitting. That mechanic pulled all the emissions stuff off & thew on an aftermarket carb, plugs, wires, & spray bombed the engine with the wrong color. They kept the original carb, which is back on the car rebuilt, but all the emissions stuff went in the trash. That made me sad, Been searching sine the day I bought it for those parts but haven't found them. Not so sure I even will.

Quote Originally Posted by 1983-GT View Post
    Keep up work & the picts, I am sure you'll be out there later this morning.

I'm dying to work on it, but I'm working today and tomorrow we are moving my daughter back to school.

Yup, this car has it problems, but I think it is better in many ways than I expected.

It's here!

My good buddy came by literally minutes after the car was dropped off and has been helping me clean it up, up until a few minutes ago. My son pitched in too. Man we got a lot of stuff done! We removed all those stupid stickers, pinstripes, cheesy mudflaps, steering wheel cover, deer whistles and louvers. Those louvers were a piece of work, all bent up, painted with a brush, and attached with a ton of silicone. They had to go.

Without further ado, here are some pics.

Attachment 123080

Attachment 123081

Attachment 123082

First wash and obligatory clay bar pic. This was after about a 1 square foot section.
    Man...that car cleaned up very well. Nice find!

Quote Originally Posted by Encinostang View Post
    Man...that car cleaned up very well. Nice find!
    Thanks! But I've barely even started!

Louvers were installed with brackets siliconed to the back window. Yuck!

Name:  IMG_2892.jpg
Size:  64.7 KBName:  IMG_2891.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  74.9 KB
    I think all of this rear window trim will have to come off to clean the silicone calk underneath.

So how was my assessment?
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Quote Originally Posted by onetrackrider View Post
    So how was my assessment?
    You were right on! Honestly, I doubt I would have bought it without having that conversation with you first. Thanks, again!

BTW, are there date codes on TRX tires?

FEP Senior Member

BTW, are there date codes on TRX tires?
    Yes....a 3 digit number on the sidewall.....it should be something like 139,169 etc. The first 2 digits represent the week of production and the last digit is the year with "9" being 79. Should be a 2 since your car is and 82, but I have seen 4 or 5 sets of original date coded 82 TRX wheels and tires and the last digit was always a "9".

Congrats on getting your car. It looks really nice. I can imagine how exciting it must have been to see that hauler pull up. Great work on the clean up.

Very nice car! she is looking good! I love the 82's

Looks better already!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Two clay bars gave their lives to get to this point.

Name:  IMG_2899.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  75.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2900.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  84.7 KB

3 coats of Megs number 7 and Megs 105 and 205 got us to here.

Name:  IMG_2901.jpg
Size:  69.5 KB

I can now see all the chips and dings that need to be repaired.

At the top of the priority list is addressing the carb, now. I'm getting a substantial puddle of gas on the intake. I'll be parking it outside until it's fixed.
    Last edited by chazman; 08-19-2018 at 01:14 AM.

What carb is on that engine? Holley or Motorcraft? On my 83 the welsh plugs where the fuel lines feed the bowls leaked. Common problem on the older Hollleys I've learned, But I believe my 83 has a different carb. Maybe the accelerator pump diaphragm? does it flood with gas as well, or just seeps onto the intake?

I sure envy your sunroof free roof even with the dings. such a weak spot on these cars, I can't believe people cut aftermarket sunroofs into them. I like the factory recessed sunroofs, just not a fan of aftermarket like mine has.

What carb is on that engine? Holley or Motorcraft? On my 83 the welsh plugs where the fuel lines feed the bowls leaked. Common problem on the older Hollleys I've learned, But I believe my 83 has a different carb. Maybe the accelerator pump diaphragm? does it flood with gas as well, or just seeps onto the intake?

I sure envy your sunroof free roof even with the dings. such a weak spot on these cars, I can't believe people cut aftermarket sunroofs into them. I like the factory recessed sunroofs, just not a fan of aftermarket like mine has.

I'm sure it's a Motorcraft, but I haven't even looked at it yet.

I may have a problem. After spending 10 hours taking my daughter back to school, moving her into her new place, and driving back home, you'd think I'd just want to sit on the couch.

But no!

Another 4 hours of paint correction.

Name:  IMG_2904.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  72.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2905.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  78.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2906.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  50.8 KB
    Last edited by chazman; 08-19-2018 at 11:53 PM.

Keeps getting better!

I didn't realize it has the correct (& maybe original?) tail pipe? I am still looking for one of those.

Keeps getting better!

I didn't realize it has the correct (& maybe original?) tail pipe? I am still looking for one of those.
    The exhaust appears original. I'll have to get a better look at the muffler to see if it's a Ford unit or not. It does have a big rattle/exhaust leak, roughly under the front seats, I'll have to look into.

Two clay bars gave their lives to get to this point.

Name:  IMG_2899.jpg
Size:  75.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2900.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  84.7 KB

3 coats of Megs number 7 and Megs 105 and 205 got us to here.

Name:  IMG_2901.jpg
Size:  69.5 KB

I can now see all the chips and dings that need to be repaired.

At the top of the priority list is addressing the carb, now. I'm getting a substantial puddle of gas on the intake. I'll be parking it outside until it's fixed.
    Oh please don't fix all the chips and dings! Nothing looks too bad too me. I like to see things like the top of the pass side fender. Those are the things that make this car so cool...its a super clean original car showing just enough of its age. You just can't find them like this anymore. Sounds like this car landed in the right hands and can't wait to see more. BTW, the picture is a little blurry but yes, those do look like the factory supplied spark plug wires. The magnet thing, is that not on the fuel line instead of an AC line?
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast