Close

Default 82 Capri RS Ontario, Canada

Hello all,

Ive just took possession of my brother's 1982 Capri RS, he passed on in my teenage years from Leukemia. So this project has a lot of sentimental value to me and I am hoping to turn this car into an absolute street monster. Currently set up with a Boss 302 block from ford racing, Edelbrock intake and Carb. Hooked up to that is a T-56 running to some 3.73s in the back. Looking forward to picking some of your brains on some help for my build and resurrecting this 5.0 from the dead as I really have no experience with SBF.

Cheers,
    Lum

Name:  Capri.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  117.2 KB

Name:  Capri2.jpg
Size:  123.0 KB

Name:  Capri3.jpg
Size:  107.2 KB

Name:  Capri4.jpg
Size:  143.5 KB
    Last edited by wraithracing; 08-05-2018 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Fix Pictures

Nice Capri, welcome to the site. Always great when cars with sentimental value are kept and loved.

Lum, welcome to FEP. It sounds like you have the start of a great project. If you haven't done it yet, put some subframe connectors on the car. You will need them with all the power you plan on having.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Welcome! cool project, looks nice

Welcome! Sorry for your loss. Drive this car in good health.

its off to a great start with the 3.73’s and 6-speed!

If monster is what you are going for, start with Maximum Motorsports subframe connectors

Next, make sure your brakes are up to the task — go four wheel disc.

Add a strut tower brace, lower K member brace, and caster/camber plates

Consider a torque arm. Add panhard bar

drop your rear spring rate to 93 cobra specs. Ditch Stock rear sway bar and add Maximum Motorsports adjustable rear sway bar.

Motor wise, you need a great intake. Edelbrock Air Gap if it has a carb, Typhoon EFI or Tubular GT40 with ported lower for EFI.

AFR 165 CNC ported heads if you want area under the curve, 185’s if you want peak power. You’re getting into split Stock block territory with these heads if you stroke it and run a Flowtech cam. Main supports are a must.

I am building a stock block balanced and blueprinted 331 engine with Edelbrock Performer heads. They were a lot less money and still make huge power but give up around 40-50 HP vs the AFRs and keep my 331 towards a margin of safety. Computer model predicts 440HP, 450 ftlbs. Same engine with AFRs would do 480-485 with 490-495 ftlbs, FYI. I’ve had the Edelbrock sitting around for 12 years..... they just need to do something!

Side load forces on the block increase with stroke and RPM. I would do not more than a 3.25” stroke. With a 4.030 bore that’s 331. I would keep RPM under 6500. If you want more displacement or RPM, build it in an aftermarket block. Or consider a 351W based stroker build. There’s no replacement for displacement. 427 CID will do way more than 331 ever could — but will make it even more nose heavy.

weve joked around a few times about going to a 460 based stroker. A good 385 series engine stroked will go up over 8 liters and a good build will crank out near 1000 HP n/a on pump gas. Lol.

Anyway...... you asked a monster, there’s your monster.....
    Last edited by erratic50; 08-05-2018 at 01:04 PM.