Close

New User

Default 2.3 Cylinder Bore

Hi All!

I am in the process of building a few 2.3t motors and I am trying to mix and match pistons. I remember reading a thread on here about the stampings on the block next to the distributor. My engines say "3343" & "3443" etc... I know this relates to the bore size and pistons. Does anyone have any info on those stampings. I.E. "1" equals small bore, "4" equals big bore.

Thanks,
    Rob A.

It is probably easiest to measure the existing pistons to get the bore size. Usually the pistons will have an OS number stamped somewhere if they were replaced. When I rebuilt my 80 2.3T a little over a year ago, I had trouble sourcing the correct forged OS pistons. Ended up finding Wiseco forged 2.3 pistons.
    Mike Rausch

1979 Capri 2.3
    1980 Capri Turbo RS
    1980 Capri 2.3
    1980 Mustang 2.3

Sorry I didn't know that they were even numbered like that. That is interesting. Ford did some strange stuff back then. If I was building engines, I would for sure invest in a micrometer though. Not trust the stamping on a part....especially since as mentioned above.....Ford sure did some strange stuff back then.