Close

Default 84 RS Turbo gallery

After many yrs of ownership, I've decided to post some views of my 4 Eye. I bought this car back in 1998 or 99 in Clovis, NM. I was stationed there at Cannon AFB. This car had been sitting for awhile and one day I noticed there were major body parts missing. Some jackwagon had slickied the hood, nose, driver door, and fender. Plus they had helped themselves to the aftermarket stereo, breaking the dash apart in the process. I kinda knew the owner and approached him about selling it. Long story short, it cost me $200.

I've worked on it off and on a number of times, finding body parts, having the turbo rebuilt (PO had disconnected the turbo oil line because the seals were shot), acquiring later model Ford parts that are considered upgrades (LA3, big VAM, brown tops, square intake, SVO boost gauge, 140mph speedo from my now departed 86 GT. Also, bigger front brakes from 87+ 5.0.

Anyway, there's more to the story, but on to the pics. I'm not a photographer, and most shots are from a cell phone.

Questions, comments, advice, creative criticsms welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by billkandi; 08-03-2018 at 12:56 PM.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Here's some more.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

And more.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

And more still.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Last one. The car looks way worse than it actually is. There's NO rust that I've ever seen, not counting the surface rust from the paint burning off in the southwest sun. The interior looks thrashed due to me removing it to take out the busted dash, pulling the carpet to power wash it, and scrub the plastic panels (which needs to be done again). There's only small stuff missing, but a lot of stuff needs to be replaced because of age or damage, etc.
    Last edited by billkandi; 08-03-2018 at 12:23 PM.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Nice project. Glad you're working to save her. Any idea the state of the motor once you add the other parts?

Chris
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

It was running (poorly) before I removed the plastic fuel lines. The lines had snagged on something right under the passenger seat and had a kink that leaked. The tank was full of many yrs old gas at the time and the inside of the tank, pump, float, and everything else was covered in rust. I have fuel lines from an 89 2.3 that are metal and routed differently. One I get those in, it "SHOULD, HOPEFULLY" run again. I've never pulled the head, but I won't be surprised to see the common crack(s)'s these things have. The mileage is just over 109K, but like I said, the oil line to the turbo was capped, so there's no telling what's to be seen. I've gotten some great help and deals from members here that have helped immensely. It's the little things that make a big difference.

BTW, I have your car and others as a screen saver for motivation and inspiration.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Good to see it being saved.
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Quote Originally Posted by onetrackrider View Post
    Good to see it being saved.
    You and others have had a hand in it, so a BIG THANK YOU.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

It going to need some real loving to bring it back, but it's got good bones and definetly rare enough to be worth the effort esp if you plan on hanging on to the car for the long haul to enjoy. Thanks for posting pics.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

I’ve had it almost 20 yrs, and have no desire to get rid of it. The paint prep and spray will be the most expensive most likely. If I just put all I have back in it, it’d be a different animal. That’ll be the trick though.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Quote Originally Posted by billkandi View Post

BTW, I have your car and others as a screen saver for motivation and inspiration.
    Wow, I'm honored. And have to admit I did the same with JTurbo and Croke's cars.
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

One thing I haven't discovered yet was whether the RST's had the cut out in the hood or not. The hood and fender are from a 79, I got the hood because it had the correct scoop. I think the cars with 4bbl's maybe came with the cut out and maybe the inner hood structure was different also.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

In my experience all the Capris I have owned that had the hood scoop had the cut out hood. My understanding is the Kidney Bean shaped cut out was originally for the Turbo 4 cars. I will also add that my 82 GT has the same cut out with the 5.0 and hood scoop too. Not going to say that is an absolute in any way, but that is what I have noticed with my personal cars and a few that I have seen/worked on over the years.

I haven't noticed any difference in the inner structure between the Turbo 4 cars and the V8 cars, but I honestly haven't compared the two side by side, so there might be some difference.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I was looking here at other RST's and noticed that JTurbo's car had the cutout and the bracing is definitely different. Like I said the hood I have now is from a 79 and was a 3.3 car, so I don't know what the criteria was to have a scoop, option wise. Almost glad it doesn't have one on one hand, but I want it correct also. Oh, well. My driver's door isn't correct either, It's a manual door, and mine came with power windows. I do have the other matching manual door, from an 85 convertible. I do have t-top glass for the driver door.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

I've acquired more parts for the Capri of late. New fuel tank and sender, hatch weather strip, another engine harness, assorted OEM stereo bits, etc. Got a line on another dash harness too. Picked up 2 B-E-A-U-tiful door panels from Matt (onetrackrider). Thanks!

Getting closer to where I need to be with this car. I have a pile of parts for it, but picking a place to start bringing her back is difficult. I could just dive in, but have to undo it later to fix something else. Grr. I think I will have the windshield pulled for ease of access. It's broken anyway and the car's stored inside, so no issues there.

The turbo is rebuilt, I have an E6 manifold, LA3, big VAM, brown tops, single 255 pump. Also a Volvo intercooler and piping that has a provision for a BOV. New Ram clutch, 93 factory WC T-5 shifter, Stinger 3" dp (the totally original exhaust is still completely intact). Factory 140 speedo, SVO boost gage and sail panels. There's more, but you get the idea.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Duplicate post
    Last edited by billkandi; 08-17-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Foxchassis did a decode of my Capri on another thread, so here's a link to it.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...RS-build-sheet
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

I’ve been using Evapo Rust on a lot of my small parts that have been sitting for years. I thought I’d show a little sample of how it works. This is is the driver side dash bracket on my replacement dash and the same piece from another dash after soaking in ER. Name:  2D5A7585-86A8-4222-BC5B-7EF6E55EB7C6.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  224.4 KB
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by billkandi View Post
    I’ve been using Evapo Rust on a lot of my small parts that have been sitting for years. I thought I’d show a little sample of how it works. This is is the driver side dash bracket on my replacement dash and the same piece from another dash after soaking in ER. Name:  2D5A7585-86A8-4222-BC5B-7EF6E55EB7C6.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  224.4 KB
    Looking good! I use Evaporust on a lot of parts too! I have also cleaned up many parts that no one would ever see also! It seems a little pricey but sure does the job!