Close

Default 85 GT Convertible Adding back whats necessary for the AC to work?

I got this car from a buddy of mine. It's in great shape and runs good, but he remove the smog pump, and a lot of the vacuum lines and disconnected the AC compressor.

I plugged it back in and filled it with 134a and it blows COLD.....on the windshield.

I've done a lot of research and the line coming from the vacuum T is good, the line going through the firewall is good, but the line that went to the vacuum tank goes into the between the fender wheel , right by the battery, I haven't found the end of it yet, but it's definitely not in the non existent Vacuum tank.

The good news is, he's kept everything he pulled off, so my question is, what vacuum lines do I need to hook up to make the AC vents work?

Will bolting the vacuum tank and hooking that 1 line back up work?

FEP Super Member

The vacuum motor to change where the air comes out, is under the dash .
    Passenger side below glove box .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

FEP Power Member

Besides having the vacuum lines connected properly, look out for a broken selector switch in the hvac controls. Basically it a block which sides up and down to switch the vacuum path. Unfortunately to housing/bracket breaks and falls away.

From what I remember there are at least 2 vacuum motors. One is by the right kick panel and there is another up above the gas pedal. Logic tells me there is one more. The hot/cold selection is done by a cable behind the glove box.

I don’t have the evtm handy.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles