Close

Default Replacement shocks and struts

I'm pretty sure I need new shocks and struts on 85-132. I cant by any means justify the price of new Bilstein shocks and struts so I was looking at the likes of simple Gabriel, Monroe, or KYB maybe. The problem I am having is which ones should I get?? There are seperate part number listings for LX and GT cars. When I looked at the specs they are different lengths between the two and then to top it off I'm concerned about the fact that the car is lowered.
    What does anybody here have? Does the car being lowered have any effect other than not using the full piston length of the shock/strut?
    I'm confused.

FEP Power Member

kYBs get a lot of bad press in the last 5-10 years. LX or GT 5.0 should be the same. Ford switched over to gas shocks around then as well. The Motorcraft listings got lost in the change of part numbers.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

So whats the bad press about??

FEP Supporter

KYB = Kill your back Never had them my self though.

I bought the Koni non-adjustables oranges for my 82 on 94 spindles. I find them alright. No complaints at least How much do you really drive it to be overly concerned of the ride quality if you are looking for a cheap alternative? Aren't KYB one of the cheapest out there?

I'd entertain Koni. Rears for '86 are cheap. Fronts show 87+ but not sure fitment on 86.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Koni-C384.aspx

I have KYB’s on the front of my Saleen until I can afford to have the original Koni’s rebuilt. Does not ride or handle bad in my opinion. The Saleen suspension is rough anyway. No idea what model they are. All I can tell you they are silver. They came on a 87 GT that I parted out years ago. When I was swapping in the 11” GT brakes from the 87 I noticed my Koni’s were leaking badly. Since the KYB’s looked fairly new I put them on as well. It’s been over 5 years now.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

FEP Senior Member

I think Eibach makes a strut that fits the stock front spindle. Might be an option.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

Best to call shock/strut mfg tech line. They would know best if their products will work with your springs.
    Read some guess the shorter LX strut better for lowered car. GT is sport suspension, LX no.

Been using Monroe products for a long time on the car and truck. Happy with them
    Car has TRX springs and sway bars. Truck is XLT 2wd.
    Current: OESpectrum series on both, formally Sensa-Track. Good price, lifetime warranty. Firm comfortable ride.
    Closest to how i remember both rode with factory shocks, especially the Mustang.
    Prior car- stock, Monroe-matic Plus (blue struts), always felt a tick softer than stock TRX or OESpectrum.
    Prior truck- stock, Gabriel VST. Gab VST felt too soft.
    Both vehicles were bought new enough to remember how the ride felt.

Monroe top of line seems dialed in the best for me. Both vehicles are DD's.
    KYB was never were considered.
    Tokico is one OE vender for newer Fords. No app for 79.
    Bilstein and Koni were considered, high cost, also no apps.
    Last edited by gr79; 08-02-2018 at 01:53 PM.

I think I'll go with Monroe's. Thanks guys

LOVE Monroe's. Worked as a auto tech and we used Gabriel's HATED them from leaks to bad ride complaints. Never had a complaint about Monroe's rides if you are looking for OE ride. If you want firmer go Koni or KYB .

Have Monroe's on 3 Capris. 2 are stock one lowered with Motorsport springs. and have installed on ASC coupes and ASC conv. mustangs with no complaints
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

One addition to Monroe struts.
    Monroe offers a boot kit for struts. Says required '85 up.
    Strut-Mate. 2 kits 63620 79-84 and 63621 85-2004. About 20.00.
    My oe strut rod rubber boots are shot. Bought a kit for when the time comes.

KYB Gas-a-Justs are the ones that are way too stiff. I have the full set of them on an 88 coupe that I recently bought. I cant wait to get them off of the car and get something(anything) else under there.

I have had great luck with the regular black KYB shocks on several vehicles and I rate them highly.

My past experience with the cheap Monroe and Gabriel shocks is that they work well for the first 1-2 years and then go downhill rather quickly.

I love me some Konis but the regular black KYB's get the nod for a daily driver.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI