Close

Default Fixing the "Foxbody Lean"

My 84 capri has a pretty bad case of the infamous foxbody lean that has been discussed a thousand times before. I have seen many different posts on many websites about this but I have never found a definite clear solution to this. The car leans to the passenger side.

Originally the lean wasn't really all that bad, not really noticeable (stock). Unfortunately I welded the frame stiffeners in at this time (Level, with suspension loaded)

As I modified the car, larger tires, 5 lug slightly wider axle, and now battery relocated to the rear passenger trunk. With everything compiled, the right rear tire now rubs on hard turns, and the lean is much more visually noticeable.

Bushings are good, control arms are new solid arms.
    It has new stiffer Springs, and they were oriented the correct way. I indexed the tail on the right spring so it sits at its highest point but It didn't really make a difference. I thoughg about using adjustable control arms to change the ride height, but when jacking up one side of the body near the spring, the whole body moves up vertically instead of leveling out, which I have heard of others having the same results.

So is there any sure way of repairing this lean short of cutting the frame stiffeners loose and taking it to the frame shop?

Swap your rear springs side for side. If it doesn’t change, frame shop seems smart.

I put an 1 7/8” twist in my 1986GT once. Step on the gas, car goes left. Brake, car goes right.....

the cause was a foolish owner (me) putting on slicks and leaving at WOT on spray without subframe connectors!

took some serious effort by a seriously talented shop to straighten it back out and weld in the HPM sfc’s