Close

Default Possible to replace upper control arm bushing without bending control arm?

Yesterday, I tried to extract my bushing on the UCA using a good ball joint press kit. Like many UCAs, it was rusted. I used PB blaster and the correct size cups, but the force bent the UCA while the bushing didn't even budge.

Was there anything else I could have done? Or do people just splurge for new one any time they replace? -I'd like to keep the open/rubber stock style as I've read about the articulation benefits.

It is possible but not super easy. You need to have some sort of spacer that fits the space between the ears of the control arm to prevent the arm from collapsing.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Maximum Motorsports produces the upper arms you want.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Maximum Motorsports produces the upper arms you want.
    Yeah, this. I didn't feel they were that pricey. Also, MM has a tool to help you do the axle end bushings.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I replaced mine 2 weekends ago. Take a drill and 3/8" bit and drill into the rubber and around the sleeve as much as possible. Then remove the sleeve. I then used an air hammer and chisel to "peel" back the inner sleeve of the non-shouldered end of the bushing, and then collapse the sleeve. I then used an air hammer to hammer the old sleeve out. Process was pretty painless when the arm is in a vice. To reinstall, I used the vice, a pair of flat plates to push on the face of the bushing, and a steel cup (to prevent the bushing from bottoming out or contacting the vise jaw). Then pressed the new bushings in until tight and bottomed out on the shoulder. I used a socket in between the "C" channel of the arm to prevent it from collapsing. I used the Moog brand bushings and it saved me well over $100 between not having to purchase the arms, and also having the axle side bushings.

Quote Originally Posted by hotnotch View Post
    i replaced mine 2 weekends ago. Take a drill and 3/8" bit and drill into the rubber and around the sleeve as much as possible. Then remove the sleeve. I then used an air hammer and chisel to "peel" back the inner sleeve of the non-shouldered end of the bushing, and then collapse the sleeve. I then used an air hammer to hammer the old sleeve out. Process was pretty painless when the arm is in a vice. To reinstall, i used the vice, a pair of flat plates to push on the face of the bushing, and a steel cup (to prevent the bushing from bottoming out or contacting the vise jaw). Then pressed the new bushings in until tight and bottomed out on the shoulder. I used a socket in between the "c" channel of the arm to prevent it from collapsing. I used the moog brand bushings and it saved me well over $100 between not having to purchase the arms, and also having the axle side bushings.
    bingo!!!!!!
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)