Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 84 RS Turbo radio question

My car came with Premium Sound from the factory. That said, did the 84's still have the pull switch for whatever amp it was equipped with? If anyone has them, I'd love to see some shots of completely original components. The OEM stuff was long gone when I got this car 20 odd yrs ago. I do not have a pull switch and cant tell yet if it was cut out. Original dash was busted up and the dash harness hacked when an aftermarket system was ripped off before I bought it. I've been collecting 84 equipment and have both PS rear speakers, 1 PS front speaker, and a radio that may or may not be PS. Need info about the amp. I have a correct 84 dash to replace the trashed one.

Thanks to the members here who've helped me out with parts, you know who you are.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Yes, there was a pull switch under the dash, except in the SVO. The SVO had a rocker switch in the console beneath the radio. The last year for the switch was 1984. It was automatically switched after that.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks. Now I have to find the parts and pieces to return it to original. I rarely turn a radio on, but I want it to look and work as it was intended.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

FEP Power Member

I have it on my 84 GT. It came with an after market radio. This is a list to get you started.
    Pull switch
    Amp up by the center speaker grill
    Radio
    Amp harness

I would suggest to have the original radio reworked with new electronics and leave the rest for looks.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

I know who has a 84 Premium radio..
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Quote Originally Posted by onetrackrider View Post
    I know who has a 84 Premium radio..
    Yeah, I bet you do. I think mine is a premium, plus the stuff I got from you gets me going pretty good. I need to find all the amp stuff now I guess.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

I might have the switch but I know I do not have the wiring or amp.
    `82 Mercury Capri 5.0 4.speed / not RS
    `86 Mercury Capri

I remember back when these were new. My buddy got one with premium sound (I never did sadly) and we used to cut off the engine (because you couldn't tell the difference unless you did) and then we'd pull on the AMP switch and then turn it off again to hear the difference. WOW! 13 watts. It was literally such a tiny difference. It was barely perceptible. I believe that exact amp is upstairs in my attic still.

Do you have any plans for it? I have a complete dash harness with an amp, but it’s from an 85-6 I think. Not sure if it’ll integrate with an 84.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

I found the switch and everything is attached. If your interested send me your e-mail for a pic.
    `82 Mercury Capri 5.0 4.speed / not RS
    `86 Mercury Capri

Hey all,
    The radio situation in 84-85-86 stangs is somewhat of a mystery. There are multiple version of the premium sound and my factory 85 wiring harness even shows an electronic casset premium sound deck (which is what came in, and still in) my 85 GT, with a graphic equalizer, and a premium sound switch. I've never seen this option in person, I just have the dash mounted amp. Interesting that in all the literature I have reviewed and studied all the wiring colors are similar but all different. Very discouraging when trying to put one of these old systems back together. I have actually been studying on how to add an internal bluetooth receiver into my head unit, but have not started that project yet. Still investigating.

This is the wiring colors, connector numbers, and wiring numbers for my 85 electronic premium sound unit for anyone interested.

• PREMIUM SOUND AMPLIFIER <C-715> [ LG-P D 816] <C-709> PREMIUM SOUND RECIEVER
    • PREMIUM SOUND AMPLIFIER <C-715> [ DB-Y D 820] <C-709> PREMIUM SOUND RECIEVER
    • PREMIUM SOUND AMPLIFIER <C-715> [ O-LB D 747] <C-709> PREMIUM SOUND RECIEVER
    • PREMIUM SOUND AMPLIFIER <C-715> [ BK-W H 287] <C-709> PREMIUM SOUND RECIEVER
    • PREMIUM SOUND AMPLIFIER <C-715> [Y-BK H 137] POWER
    • PREMIUM SOUND AMPLIFIER <C-715> W-P 829 PREMIUM SOUND SWITCH
    • PREMIUM SOUND AMPLIFIER <C-710> [O-LG H 804] <C-716> <C-703> LH FRONT SPEAKER (+)
    • PREMIUM SOUND AMPLIFIER <C-710> [LB-W H 813] <C-716> <C-703> LH FRONT SPEAKER (-)
    • PREMIUM SOUND AMPLIFIER <C-710> [DG-O 811] <C-716> <C-704> RH FRONT SPEAKER (+)
    • PREMIUM SOUND AMPLIFIER <C-710> [W-LG H 805] <C-716> <C-704> RH FRONT SPEAKER (-)

• PREMIUM SOUND RECIEVER <C-709> [ PK-LG 807 ] <C-716> <C-706> LH REAR SPEAKER (+)
    • PREMIUM SOUND RECIEVER <C-709> [PK-LB 801] <C-716> <C-706> LH REAR SPEAKER (-)
    • PREMIUM SOUND RECIEVER <C-709> [DG-B D 803] <C-716> <C710> RH REAR SPEAKER (+)
    • PREMIUM SOUND RECIEVER <C-709> [PK-LB 806] <C-716> <C710> RH REAR SPEAKER (-)
    • PREMIUM SOUND RECIEVER <C-708> [Y-BK H 137] POWER
    • PREMIUM SOUND RECIEVER <C-708> [LB-R 19] ILLUMINATION LAMPS
    • PREMIUM SOUND RECIEVER <C-708> [LG-Y 54] POWER ON IGNITION

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Program5 View Post
    Hey all,
    The radio situation in 84-85-86 stangs is somewhat of a mystery. There are multiple version of the premium sound and my factory 85 wiring harness even shows an electronic casset premium sound deck (which is what came in, and still in) my 85 GT, with a graphic equalizer, and a premium sound switch. I've never seen this option in person, I just have the dash mounted amp. Interesting that in all the literature I have reviewed and studied all the wiring colors are similar but all different. Very discouraging when trying to put one of these old systems back together. I have actually been studying on how to add an internal bluetooth receiver into my head unit, but have not started that project yet. Still investigating.

To make it even more confusing, there are dealer installed versions/kits as well. I do have the separate Ford manual on the radios someplace.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Thanks fellers. Every little bit of info helps, me as well as someone else somewhere.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

A question: Are the amps from 85-6 compatible with an 84 with the pull switch? I have a complete dash harness and amp from an 85 or 86 that came with a dash hull I got years ago. I have a line on a pull switch assembly and I have acquired a set of PS rears, plugs, and some other small PS parts. Will they work together?
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

So the 84 premium sound used the 4 channel amp. The amp has a White-Purple wire (825 wire ID) that connects to the premium sound switch. It is on page 11 of the 84 mustang adobe wiring diagrams (do you have these? if not I can email them to you. The 4 channel amp of the 85 should work exactly the same. The two channel amp for the electronic casset deck wont work (only 2 channels). I have some miscellaneous parts lying around if you need anything I can see if I have it.

I don’t have the schematic you’re referring to. Were all the 85-6 radios electronic or were there still some older ones? I need to look at the harness to see if I can find something that identifies the year, there are still items with 79 part numbers on the harness.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Not all 86’s were setup with a digital readout on the tuner. Some of the early ones had the analog readout radio which IMO sounded better anyway.

My car was cut up when I got it. I had the 4 channel amp. I never did get it to work right, so I bypassed it with all new wires ultimately.

There were three radios in 1985 and 1986 and all three could come with or without Premium Sound.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I have copies of 84 85 and 86 factory wiring diagrams, and diagrams from the 1985 ford electrical troubleshooting guide which uses different connector id's (go figure), but also comes with some pictures. I am new to this forum so I can send them to you, or is there an area where I can post them? And yes there was a lot of options for these years. Some of which I have never seen, like the 85 electronic premium sound with graphic equalizer.

Rich

Thanks. Any diagrams would be great. The amp I have has a ground and two plugs. I’ll post a pic of it when I get home. For the record, I’m electronically clueless when it comes to stuff like this. Can do it with instructions, but figuring it out myself is another matter. Take me awhile to decipher a schematic.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Graphic equalizer was not an option in 1985 Capri/Mustang. Graphic equalizer was not an option in Mustang until 1987.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Good to know. I just want to get the system mine came with installed correctly and have it work. Modern sound interests me not at all. I rarely turn on my radio now, I just want it to work.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

I have heard this about the graphic equalizer in the past not being available in 85, which may be the case, since I have never seen one. However the electrical schematics from Ford for 1985 Mustang clearly shows a graphic equalizer attached to the electronic cassette radio with a push button switch was a Premium sound option, or was at least planned for, but maybe never actually implemented. Maybe there were issues with this setup and so was never actually put into production but not removed from the schematics. Does anybody know if there was an actual RPO number for this option? If no RPO number then this would support the never actually made one position.

The RPO for 1987 was 915 but there was no such RPO in 1985 or 1986 for the Capri/Mustang. Plus there was no location for a graphic equalizer in or under the dash in 1985 or 1986 for the Capri/Mustang.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast