Close

Default Need a template to mount 82 GT spoiler

I want to put my 82 spoiler back on. Is there a template to mounting it on a hatch

I am not aware of any template for the rear hatch. I assume you replaced the hatch with another and don't have the original to use as a template.

If you have a 83-86 with the one piece rear spoiler all the lower holes are the same for the 3 piece spoiler. I just did that swap on my 82 RS due to the original hatch being too rusted to repair. I had to drill hole for the two side pieces, but that was it. If no one else has an easier, faster option I could make a template off my original 82 hatch and send that to you to help. Let me know. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I bOught the car the way it is. But the guy had the original spoiler so I want it to go back on. I did find another hatch with wing off an 83. Looks to be the same. Might just swap hatches and keep the extra 3 piece spoiler

Here is the best method, template be danged!

Unscrew the studs from the spoiler, it isn't that hard. You can use vise grips to grab the thick washer part of the stud and unscrew it like normal.

Set the middle piece down on the trunk and mark it so the center of the trunk line up with the center of the spoiler (it is easiest to work from the key hole). Use some masking tape on the spoiler and match it up to a piece on the deck.

Buy some Play-Doh.

Find approximatly where the studs hit. You don't need to be super accurate as long as you are close. Smear some Play dough at least 1/8" thick and about 2 inches round in those areas.

lightly set the spoiler in place, mating up the pieces of tape.

Push down then lift the spoiler... you have now marked the hole locations.

Center punch the holes through the Play-Doh. Remove the Play-Doh and use a uni-bit and drill the holes. Replace studs and mount the center part. Base your side holes the same way.

Kenny