Close

Default Rear speakers in early fox hatchback

I know later models have speakers by back seat but I was wondering if anyone did something custom with early models to put a speaker in 1/4 trim by back seat. I assume this would make better sound then speaker all the way in hatch area.

People have cut in additional speakers in the quarter panel under the quarter window for better sound. Unfortunately it generally looks terrible IMHO and destroys a perfectly good quarter panel if you ever change your mind and want to reverse the modification.

I would recommend either sticking with the stock location and consider sound deadening improvements to the interior to improve the sound quality. The other option would be to swap in the later 87-89 quarter panels to have the better speaker location. The sound deadening is still a good idea for any Fox Body IMHO. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I thought about the later panels but i not a fan of moving seat belt mounts. I hate to wreck and someone be injured do to it failing.

Yeah thats why I asked for maybe some pics and opinions on how much it helped. Its just a toy so most days its windows down and listen to the car.

Ill probably just upgrade stock locations to high quality options and some sound deadening and just be done. Previous owner already hacked up for aftermarket radio so I gonna have fun cleaning that up.

Temp fix until another idea comes:
    Could hide some 6x9 speaker or similar boxes behind the rear seat back. 2 sets for more sound.
    Use speakers of choice. Can match speaker brand with the others in car.

Seen some use a big picnic cooler as the speaker box.

Had pair of automotive 8" 2 way wedge shaped boxes in the rear seat floors that worked good.
    Similar to these: https://offerup.com/item/detail/222596194/
    Long wire made them movable outside.

Actually tested pr of KLH 5" house speakers that worked fine too.

Now have six 5 x 7 against the back trim panel of the hatch area. Finally have plenty of rear sound.

Quote Originally Posted by jfruauff View Post
    I thought about the later panels but i not a fan of moving seat belt mounts. I hate to wreck and someone be injured do to it failing.

Yeah thats why I asked for maybe some pics and opinions on how much it helped. Its just a toy so most days its windows down and listen to the car.

Ill probably just upgrade stock locations to high quality options and some sound deadening and just be done. Previous owner already hacked up for aftermarket radio so I gonna have fun cleaning that up.
    The 87-89 seat belt locations on the quarter panel didn't change. That happened with the 90-93 models due to the seat back change in 1990. Even then you don't have to move the actual seat belt anchor you can just drill a new hole in the quarter panel trim for the original seat belt mount. No big deal.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

For some reason I didnt even realize you put years lol. I may look into that. Finding panels is so hard now.

Do you by chance have a pic of the 87-89 i cant even find a pic

Quote Originally Posted by jfruauff View Post
    Do you by chance have a pic of the 87-89 i cant even find a pic
    I think we can just cancel this thread.

Back in the mid-eighties I got ahold of a book on speaker enclosure design, and used the info to build a speaker box for the back of the fox. Ended up building several for friends. It's two triangular boxes joined by a common back board, sized internally to be optimum for the speakers, sealed with caulk, and lightly filled with batting. A four wire trailer plug made them easily removed. Still have two of them. One of them still has the Kenwood speakers I won in the Motor Trend sweepstakes.
    Once covered with matching carpet they look like part of the car, and they do sound better than the stock equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    I think we can just cancel this thread.
    Google always seems to show outside quarter or the window.

Quote Originally Posted by SECESH View Post
    Back in the mid-eighties I got ahold of a book on speaker enclosure design, and used the info to build a speaker box for the back of the fox. Ended up building several for friends. It's two triangular boxes joined by a common back board, sized internally to be optimum for the speakers, sealed with caulk, and lightly filled with batting. A four wire trailer plug made them easily removed. Still have two of them. One of them still has the Kenwood speakers I won in the Motor Trend sweepstakes.
    Once covered with matching carpet they look like part of the car, and they do sound better than the stock equipment.

Can you by chance snap a pic?

I was debating that but wasnt sure if it would make a big enough difference to be worth the space it takes up. I have built many sub boxes over years so that is an option. I was kinda asking cause why reinvent the wheel if someone already has a setup that works. I debated making custom door panels with like a 5.5 component setup and cutting the stock 1/4 trim to add a speaker but I really not sure if I want to cut up the rear 1/4 since they are so hard to get hands on.

Just looking at all my options as I am i the process or completely redoing the interior. Exterior is clean fresh paint, all new, lights, ect .

I will have review how to post photos; I took a couple that might be helpful. Dimensions: 46" wide by 7" high. The triangular boxes are 6" across the ends tapering to contact with the back board at the center. 3/8" plywood for the front and back and 3/4" pine for the triangles and ends.

Please bear with me if this doesn't work. I'm an analog animal in a digital world
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Yeah I get the idea. Yeah that may help get sound moving in right direction. Thanks

Good design. Room for two more rounds!

Very much like next project to do here with 4 of 6 rear speakers. Time to lock them down from test positions.
    Have the other 2 in stock rear 1/4 panel loc. Very fine overall quality stereo spatial effect with 3.5 fronts.
    Stock 5-10w amp levels don't cut it. Stock radios with aftermarket amps work fine.
    Stock look, big clear sound, easy to operate, clear radio reception.

Just went outside, laid rear speakers on hatch floor tilted up facing the hatch. Smoothed out the sound.
    Carrying tools back there blocks out sound when they face forward. Reflecting up off hatch does not.

Thinking a plywood shelf with the triangles, face the speakers up toward hatch, 3" ft trim, 4 stock grills.
    5x7 2 way Machs/JBL have sealed backs, no special cabinet needed.

Even thought of bolting speaker boxes to the hatch door facing forward, and remember to close it very slowly.
    All i know is that adding more rear speakers, and amping them reasonably 30-50w, is the way to get good rear bass.

Found multiple smaller speakers will do it. Large 12" subs do not work when hatch area is used for cargo.
    Huge amps will really tax the electrical system unless major mods are made.

Oh, noticed phone pic orientate according to position phone is held. Hold upside down, pic upside down.
    MS paint or similar can correct that.

The old candlestick phones are more my speed.

I think if the speakers were angled up at a 45 it would be the best of both worlds. Pointing forward and bouncing off the hatch glass. I have bookmarked this for future reference!!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes