Close

Default southside fox body frame connector

Any one using southside fox body frame connectors? Like them?
    I'm looking for a bolt on frame connector and thought these looked interesting.

FEP Super Member

Never do a bolt on frame connector .
    Always weld them in .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

what he said. I understand that Ford bolted connectors on the 03-04 Mach 1 and the Terminators but that was for a press release. I know all to well that money doesn't grow on trees but if you don't know someone who is a good welder then try to find someone to trade out labor with. I am in IT and I manage the shop that I go to computers and dyno and tuning software and he does some work for me. Doesn't cost either one of us and we both get what we want.

for the price of those you could probably get weld on ones and find an exhaust shop to weld them in

Installed FRPP M-5478-B back in 2004. Parts cost was 95.33.
    Also added under seat subframe cross braces. Another 20? bucks.
    Bolted in per instructions. 100,000+ miles since. No issues.
    They have not moved, elongated, or rusted out. If they move, i weld them.
    Car doors close even when car is up on jack stands or jack.
    Car can be lifted with jack under them.
    Even though e-coated, they need occasional touch up from road abrasion.
    VHT SP571 black works fine.

Full length are best. Maximum Motorsports, SVE, SMR, Stifflers, BBK BMR.
    Welding is best. Factory used bolts, rivets, on car structure, welded most of it.
    Adding more bracing or reinforcement on the car helps. Bolted, welded, riveted.
    Sure makes a difference making the car solid you will feel the diff..

Are the bbk bolt ons full length like MM or stifflers? I didnt like the ones OP posted. The front looks like it could twist.

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I've had the Kenny Brown bolt in units in my '79 Cobra since 2004. They have the cross brace that runs underneath the floorplan /seats and bolt to the floor by using the rear seat bolts. Once I installed them, I hired a welder to come over and weld them in. The car was then finished off and I've drag raced it down the track over 150 times over the past 14 years with launches of 4,500 and 5,000 rpms. They've held up extremely well without any issues, damage, etc...
    Last edited by Hissing Cobra; 08-01-2018 at 05:24 AM.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

What would you guys say is the best/ longest bolt on option. I am leaning towards bolting them on then just going to shop to have them tack in.

MM says these are the longest. Really cant go much longer under there.
    The instructions are a good read.
    http://www.maximummotorsports.com/MM...ated-P585.aspx

Many years back I brought a set of MM full length frame connectors to a shop to weld in for me. Morons couldn't figure out how to do the seat brace part(they gave me the pieces back when I picked it up), crappy welds, and didn't disconnect the battery when welding. I went with them because they had a drive on lift, most place around here have post lifts. If you can't do the welding yourself, or have someone you trust to do the full length connectors, you might be better off getting the bolt in ones. Install them then take them somewhere to be welded in, then they can't screw it up. Well, they will be less likely to screw them up.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Maximum Motorsports subframe connectors are most definitely the way to go.

Harbor freight flux core wire feed welder is about $100. Does great welding in connectors.

My dad is a former iron and steel worker. He helped do this on my son’s car. His welds look better than several of the “professionally installed” Ives seen where the pro had a high end welder to use vs my little cheapie

I passed my 50MM welding test back when I was young. Made it about a day on the job welding crane booms and just about hacked out a lung. Huge asthma problems started with an attack — and I didn’t know I had asthma until then. I can weld just fine in small shops when I’m the only one welding. But put 20 tables in a 50x50 building and there’s just no way I could survive breathing all those welding fumes.

Good thing, or I’d probably still be doing that job and struggling to get by.

I went with S&W Race Cars, swracecars.com, full length weld in subframe connectors. Super quality and great tech support.