Close

Thread: faded seats

V6DR

Default faded seats

my seats are faded,but otherwise are in good shape,no rips. i was thinking about getting a cloth dye to bring back the color.has anyone taken this approach?i'd rather not buy better seats,i could use the money on some other stuff i need.

FEP Member

If have used the dye. It works really well. Go with that, it's definately better than getting new seats.
    Tom
    1986 LX - Sold
    1990 LX - 2.3 Turbo (FOR SALE)
    1985 ASC McLaren vert #116 - Sold to Red390GT
    2006 Mazda 3 5-door (Daily Driver)

V6DR

do you have any pics? i'd like to see the end result.

I just changed mine from faded light blue to light grey, no pic.s but I,m happy with how it turned out.
    84 LX Convertible
    1965 289 C.I.(go boom!!, 302 roller on the way)
    C-4 tranny

V6DR

what did you do to prep the seats before dying them?

Ask yourself.....Is it any of my business?

I don't mean to break in on the post but I'm interested in dying my seats too, and I was wondering if the dye comes off if you are sweaty? Mine are red and someone told me red dye doesn't stick as well.

My friend just Got his 1985 GT Seats Re-done (dyede) Red And it turned out extremley well, no Problems yet
    Calon

1985 LX Notchback (Project)
    1995 Mustang GT (In For Color Change)

What I used on my faded seats & carpet was a vinyl mixing base "Dupont Vinyl Color". This is the same material used to paint vinyl interior parts. The material is mixed by your paint supplier in low, med, or high gloss. Use low gloss for carpets & seats. Also comes in alot of colors to match your interior. Spray 3 coats using a conv. spray gun or HVLP gun. One pint should be enough for your seats. This mat'l dries very quickly, when dry since its a solvent based material it will not come off like water based dyes. You will be impressed with the results and the feel of the cloth. Good luck. If the insert image works thats my 79 Ghia cloth interior completed (notice the fade on the shoulder strap, I also painted those)

V6DR

those seats look great! did you do any prep before you started? i was thinking of steam cleaning the upholstery first, to give the dye a clean surface to adhere to.