Close

Default AC circuit open, Susie's '82 GT

Pressure switch and compressor clutch are not connecting. Colors on the wires match up better to the schematic for 1983 models. I hate to have to pull the looms apart to track down the path. Is there a device between which could be at fault? System has been flushed, vacuumed, and given an initial charge that closed the pressure switch. Runs cold when jump wired.
    Don't want Susie to get any hotter than she already is!
    The '82 models did have a full throttle cut out, and hers does not since it has been converted to a holley four barrel. There would also have been an idle kick-up solenoid.
    I have performed searches here and elsewhere to no avail. Doesn't mean it's not out there, I just didn't see anything specific to this model.
    Thanks
    Mike

The throttle switch needs to be either hooked up or use a jumper across

That's what I thought and it now has a flattened ended u shaped piece of 14 guage solid shoved in. So far no improvement. I might just resort to new wires if there's no reason not to. 36 years of wear and tear and sitting for quite a while after her snow storm misadventure it's a wonder anything works. Don't want to bypass something critical if such is in there.
    Thanks for responding. Sometimes I feel like blundering in the dark.

FEP Super Member

Have you checked that you are getting current from the dash panel switch , when you turn it to a/c or max a/c ? .
    That is where I would start.
    No fox needs another owner hacking up the wiring, trying to fix something .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Current passes through the pressure switch, just not reaching the clutch. Rock auto is not the most reliable source of info, but they list a clutch relay for this car. Schematic doesn't show one.
    Fear not, if I add in a duplicate circuit the original stuff will remain in situ. I figure that's less detrimental than unravelling the harness seeking the broken wire.
    Both of our cars have the same fried fog light circuit that came standard, and the same butt connectors to replace the burnt originals in the charging circuit.
    Toughest thing about repair manuals is they often take for granted that the user knows what the gonculator looks like and where to find it there under the disgronificator.
    If I do change anything it gets a notation in the back of the repair manual, so I can remember what I did.
    Hope to get her back in service soon. Susie needs more horsepower than the LX can provide.

FEP Super Member

My a/c has been gone as long as I gave owned the car , 20 plus years .
    So this may sound dumb , but is there not a high pressure switch also ?
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

I have heard of them. The tractors have them, but I think expansion valve systems employ high pressure switches, while orifice tubes do not. I think 79 and 80 models used the valve, 81 I'm not sure of, but by 82 they had the tube.

It rained this afternoon so I got some time in the shop. Turns out the wiring diagram for the '83 is correct for both of our '82's and there is a relay and it's under the dash on the driver's side. I used some magnification since my close up vision has suffered with age, but I was able to open the loom and spot that pink and blue wire headed back inside the passenger compartment. Rockauto had it right. Shipping was four times the buck fifty price of the part so I ordered a spare so I'll never need it.
    Should have been fixing the flat tire on the combine, but I played with the car instead.