Close

Default v6 to 302 v8 swap mount issues

So 82 ford granada fox body, bought some convertible mounts from rock auto because I heard somewhere that was the way to go, and the motor came from a non fox t-bird, so I didn't have the top mount plate. So today I tried to drop the motor in and the mounts are about an inch too narrow, the stud bottoms out in the hole an inch before contacting the main part of the mount, on both sides.

Was I misinformed? Whats the best solution? Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I did try searching, but search doesn't allow you to search by forum, so it seems no better than just looking down the forum list
    Last edited by dilligaf2; 07-28-2018 at 12:25 PM.

Pics or it didn't happen
    Name:  0728181017.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  105.2 KB
    Name:  0728181015.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  118.6 KB
    Last edited by dilligaf2; 07-28-2018 at 12:35 PM.

I don’t think you can put a v8 on a v6 kmember. You need a v8 kmember, I think a 4cyl k would work also. The v6 is the odball.
    Last edited by Lowetlx; 07-28-2018 at 02:52 PM.
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

Quote Originally Posted by Lowetlx View Post
    I don’t think you can put a v8 on a v6 kmember. You need a v8 kmember, I think a 4cyl k would work also. The v6 is the odball.
    From what I've heard v6 and v8 k-members are the same, the I-6 was the odd ball requiring some f-150 mount. I guess I'll have to see if I can find some dimensions for a v8 k-member tonight and check to see if that's the problem. Thanks for the reply

From what I've learned from 4 hours of researching
    1. 82 was first year a 3.8l v6 was used in a fox body, and only in granada and thunderbird.
    2. No one has ever seem to have this problem.
    3. No one bothers to measure anything about engine mounts relative to the k-member because of #2
    4. 82 Thunder chickens with a v8 had the same part number mounts as later mustangs

So 82 v6's may have had an odd ball k-member, but I can't really verify because of #2 and #3, but #4 makes me believe that is the case.
    I guess now it's time to fab a mount that will work, any advice?

Slot the slot further down until the mounts sit flush. After it sits flush, shim it up if needed under the motor mount with washers until you get back any height you need.

Just an fyi, 83-85.5 thunderbird/cougar used the same style mounts as the mustang, but they were not quite identical. Where 82 was the first year of the v6, I could see it using a one year only motor mount until they started to use it in all the other cars later on.

In 1985.5 (usually just 86-8 they had a totally different k-member and motor mounts. They were fluid filled to help dampen vibrations more then the mustang style mount.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

FEP Supporter

I did a little digging for you in my parts manual. Not a lot of info unfortunately.

V8 was not available in 82 for Granada. Two crossmember in the book. One for all 4 cyl and 3.8. One for 3.3.

80 (V8 ) and 81 (4.2) Granada had different part numbers from the 82 Granada's.

Looking at the motor mounts and I cannot see a direct solution to your issue. No V8 in the Granada in 82 and not seeing intercompatibility in the parts manual for K members could make it a crap shoot for the mounts as the physical differences are not known. It could be the brackets on the engine that are causing the grief as it came off a non-Fox T-bird you said?

Good luck!

G is Granada. F is Mustang.

Motor mounts 3.8:

Name:  3.8 MM.JPG
Views: 131
Size:  85.0 KB

Motor mounts 4.2:

Name:  4.2 MM.JPG
Views: 131
Size:  54.4 KB

Motor mounts 5.0:

Name:  5.0 MM.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  101.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    Slot the slot further down until the mounts sit flush. After it sits flush, shim it up if needed under the motor mount with washers until you get back any height you need.
    I didn't think of cutting the slot further down, rough measuring puts the end of the bolt pretty close to the steering racks hard lines, but I like that idea much better then working with 1/4 inch plate steel. I'll have to think about it and measure a bit more before diving in, I don't know how that's going to affect headers or if I can achieve the correct driveline angle.

92 t-bird top plate was completely incompatible and not usable, convertible mounts have the top plate integrated on the mount, and that was why I used those

Thanks for the info guys, it'll probably be the weekend before I try to do something.