Close

Default Snooty Car Show For Old Fogies

Had to sneak into the North St. Paul History Cruzers car show last night. They don't allow cars newer than 1975. Their way of telling is apparently square headlights. Half the people there had walkers. Getting younger people into the hobby is something that's not important to the host club, it seems. I'd make a stink about it, but it's SUPER popular. TONS of people go to it. So, I don't really have a leg to stand on. Thank goodness though we get to look at stock 1975 Impala sedans (half the cars there were Impalas for some reason) rather than cars like mine.

I had to park in a back lot away from the action.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

The people "working the door" at many of these cruise nights, don't have clue number one about what's cool and interesting and what isn't.

sometimes more of the "show" is in the parking lot. lol nice one mustang there too.

They don't allow cars newer than 1975. Thank goodness though we get to look at stock 1975 Impala sedans (half the cars there were Impalas for some reason) rather than cars like mine.

But don't they know that generation went to 1976. "Sorry sir, even though your 76 Impala is the same as a 75 I can not let you in"........LOL
    Of course the Caprice in 76 got square headlights but still.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Love that green '69 mustang next to you
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Yeah, I was pleased to get to park next to it.

I'm sure you guys will be shocked to learn I decided to make a stink.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

It just wouldn’t be a **** show without the stink. Lol

there were guys up in NJ that put on shows in jackson and i think hamilton that had taht same rule. they even walked round with t shirts that read "What part of 1975 and older do you not get?" damn right i used to sneak my Notch in lol
    <Dayne>
    1985 Monte Carlo SS 5.7
    1993 Civic Coupe JDM B16A1
    1982 Mustang GT 5.0
    1980 Mustang Notchback 5.0
    1993 Civic SI D16Z6
    1991 Camaro RS 3.1
    1978 Honda Accord CVCC 1.6
    1983 Camaro Berlinetta 2.8
    1981 Mustang Notchback ...Engineless...again

Quote Originally Posted by 80Notch View Post
    there were guys up in NJ that put on shows in jackson and i think hamilton that had taht same rule. they even walked round with t shirts that read "What part of 1975 and older do you not get?" damn right i used to sneak my Notch in lol
    Geez, that's hardcore!

I learned a good trick. At this show, it's on a regular street, so a lot of times there are a few newer cars mixed in with the show cars because they were there at one of the businesses before the show started. So, all you do is arrive 1/2 hour before they close the street, and you're good.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

And they seem to think that the only music that's ever existed is that damned '50s stuff. Sorry, but Elvis (and others from the era) were HORRIBLY overrated.
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

Hey, it's their car show, they can decide what cars and trucks can be there, just like we only do pre-1986 fox cars on this forum. I personally like having a mix of old and new because a lot of the new tuner stuff you're seeing on the traditionally Japanese makes is starting to make its way into mainstream old-school hot rodding. It's hard to beat modern fuel injection and ignition systems on even an old muscle car. You can change the tune whenever you want with a phone or tablet. Assuming the guy knows how to use one of those things, that is... Besides, I think while folks tend to like the stuff that they like, any gearhead can enjoy talking to some of the younger guys about the kinds of things they're doing with their rides. The universal language of grease!

Orriginally posted by ZephyrEFI
    They don't allow cars newer than 1975. Their way of telling is apparently square headlights.
    Then Brad, twist their heads by entering a Jeep Liberty, or Jag X type.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dog View Post
    Orriginally posted by ZephyrEFI

Then Brad, twist their heads by entering a Jeep Liberty, or Jag X type.
    How about a '90s Taurus?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Power Member

IIRC the cruise ins around here set the cutoff at either 1979 or 1980. They were extremely honest with me when I asked about it. The whole point was to keep the rice burning, jap crap import crowd out. They didn't want some idiot trying to enter with an early CRX slammed to the ground with a triple decker wing covered in mugen stickers parking next to REAL cars.

I wouldn't have a problem with year restrictions at cruise-ins even if it excluded my car. I like to go and look at the muscle cars from my youth, and the even older cars from before my time. I have no interest whatsoever in the straight off the showroom floor new cars that are always present. But then it's not difficult to just walk past those cars so no big deal either way.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

I get piles and piles of car show flyers thru the year and I very rarely ever see a show that has a year limit. Of course around here it would probably cut show attendance in half. I'm in a local Mustang club and probably three quarters of the membership is at least '99 and up cars and most of that group is '05 and up.
    If I show up with my SVO or Saleen, I'm still usually the oldest car in the bunch. And I notice the newer years owners dont even give my 66 coupe a look.
    I think most new "muscle car" owners dont have a clue about the old original cars that their modern cars are supposed to mimic. Everybody wants an old car look but heaven forbid if it doesnt have power everything and a/c.
    Sorry. I'll stop ranting now.

Hallo, Matt J has the right idea! There are two new meets that have started around here, one is a bar where they have different events each Staturday and Sunday for cars, bikes trucks etc. and the other one is at a Travelling Club HQ with a cut-off date of 1987.
    The one at the bar had a Mustang Saturday - The problem I had getting into their car park "its Mustangs today mate!" was the first hurdle! The Club HQ the first time, 79 a classic design retains its modern looks! "Its for old cars!" The second time I met up with Stickshift Pete so there were 2 of us. You can see the photos in the Europe Thread.
    People who say it cannot be done should not get in the way of the people doing it!

1979 Mustang 2.8V6
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 limited

Quote Originally Posted by wilsst View Post
    Hallo, Matt J has the right idea! There are two new meets that have started around here, one is a bar where they have different events each Staturday and Sunday for cars, bikes trucks etc. and the other one is at a Travelling Club HQ with a cut-off date of 1987.
    The one at the bar had a Mustang Saturday - The problem I had getting into their car park "its Mustangs today mate!" was the first hurdle! The Club HQ the first time, 79 a classic design retains its modern looks! "Its for old cars!" The second time I met up with Stickshift Pete so there were 2 of us. You can see the photos in the Europe Thread.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm trying to be mad here. I help moderate a F/Z page over on FB where we don't allow chevy swaps, so I'm well aware of the "their place their rules" thing.

Why did you go to the Mustang show not driving your Mustang?

The North St. Paul History Cruzers never responded to my message. I assume they just rolled their eyes and went on with their day. Hopefully it's at least not the first time they've heard that. I don't see how the douchebag in the C5 mentioned earlier wouldn't have at least complained too.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm trying to be mad here. I help moderate a F/Z page over on FB where we don't allow chevy swaps, so I'm well aware of the "their place their rules" thing.

Why did you go to the Mustang show not driving your Mustang?

The North St. Paul History Cruzers never responded to my message. I assume they just rolled their eyes and went on with their day. Hopefully it's at least not the first time they've heard that. I don't see how the douchebag in the C5 mentioned earlier wouldn't have at least complained too.
    Hi Brad,

The Mustang meet, I was sent off to the back wilds of the car park where my 79 was very lonely, there was mostly modern stangs and a few 60's my 79 unique in the car park but no one bothered to look at it!
    In Europe there is a discussion regarding Teslas turning up at US themed car shows, is this the future?
    all the best Steve
    People who say it cannot be done should not get in the way of the people doing it!

1979 Mustang 2.8V6
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 limited