Close

Default Help finishing 2.3 project

Okay, first off I'll be honest and tell you that this motor is going in a Ranger but most of its parts are from a Mustang and I have owned an '86. That being said my project is almost done. '88 EFI block, supposedly an '85 carbed D-port head but it has the extra hole for the EFI intake and an '82 2bbl intake with adaptor removed to run a 2bbl Autolite carb. First problem, I used the dipstick and tube from the '88 that comes up behind the breather but I have no place to bolt it. Right now it's tied to the valve cover. I tried the ranger tube that comes forward but it's not close to anything. Am I missing a bracket? Do I need a dipstick and tube for an '82 Mustang? Doesn't look like there's a place for it to bolt to the 2bbl intake though. Second problem, how does the pcv hook up on an '82 Mustang? I used the EFI hose from the crankcase vent up to the pcv valve. The intake has a 2-way vacuum port screwed into the #1 runner. I pulled the plastic 2 hose piece off the valve and planned on running the hose up past the intake and back down to the runner but it doesn't look right. Any pictures of the stock setup so I can see what parts I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've only ever messed with V8s and this is my first 4-cylinder build. The little things have been a nightmare, like trying to find metric carb studs to fit with the Autolite spacer.Name:  20180721_151750.jpg
Views: 2380
Size:  108.3 KBName:  20180721_152519.jpg
Views: 2334
Size:  115.9 KB

Lots to consider here.

It was the 1980, 81 and 82 California emissions that forced carb markers to do some seriously wired crap to simple 1, 2-bbl and 4-bbl carb bowl vents and PCV systems.

Ford started in 1979 with optimized PCV systems that weren't even listed as so on the VECI diagrams. From 79 to the last year a carb was legal (about 1996 in the last Festivas or Geo's) Ford were forced to balance the Postive Crankcase Ventilation systems, and carb cars had to get a whole layer of extra crud to even operate.

The CFI V8's, port EFI 5.0 got a different PCV system to the carb 4-bbl HO engines ....and effectively except for I think, Chrysler's Omini, and certainly the Ranger 2.0/2.3 , every Holley Weber 2-bbl system became illegal over night.

Couldn't understand how a 1981 European emissions 2 liter Ford wolud have one kind of Weber with no bowel vent hookup and bleedback fuel supply, with this TVS valve via water heated intake

and for the same 1981 US Ford had to have all this.

All due to the PCV blow by issues, and how they influenced the air fuel ratio of carbs.

PCV is easy.

Green DVCV2 port PVS vaccum switches

Blue TCVV 3 port vaccum switches

and the Black SDV Spark Delay or Vaccuum delay valve are used to prop up ignition function when cold; but only with Duraspark II.

It lookes like your using Duraspark II.

So your system must be a little like this.

Veni Vidi Vici, um, Veci

"I came, I saw, I conquered Emissions schematics..."

Vehicle Emissions Control Information =VECI,

my favorite.

As you'll appreciate, all 1969 to 1986 non EFi Ford OHC's, either in 2 liter Pinto/Bobcat/ Capri form from 1970 to 1974, or the later 2 and 2.3 liter Lima bigger form in 1975-1986 (MustangII/Foxes, Courier 2300's and Rangers) are IMCO and Thermactor engines, designed to run with integrated emissions gear.

None of them had simultaneous 2-bbl carbs that were designed for the 2.8 V6's, 4.2/5.0/5.8/390 or 400 cube V8 engines. The carb calibration for a 2.8 93 to 194 or 109 hp 1978-1980 Mustang II/Pinto or Fox 2.8 might be close. It has a two stage power valve most likely

The best rundown is on getting the basic lines right, and no gene spliced VECI diagram will help much.

the 1983-1985 4 cylinder VECI line diagram is not gonna help you, as they were all Feedback MCU or EECIV.

nor will the pesky Holley Weber 1979-1982. Those were Feedback if CA, and a rather involved kind for non MCU controlled, non feedback Holley Webers.

The best is the earlier 2.8 V6 diagram for 1979 Motorcraft 2150's.

The Cologne V6 and the Lima 2300 have similar needs with a 2150 1.08" Motorcraft.

If you don't have an AIR pump, then that won't help much either....

So your gonna have to ad lib.

Q. What 2150 are you running?

1. Without a line in and out, the PCV system won't work.
    See this video. It's so common to do it wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIw--72EKU0

2. Secondly. Without the baffels above, you have to revert to the way Ford from there first 2-bbl Holley Weber carbed 2 liter EAO Pinto engine in 1969 to the last of the carbed US 2.0/2.3 Lima OHC in the Ranger and Mustang Fox in the 80's. They did it using a baffled oil, seperator to stop the crank case ventilation pulses up setting the PCV port on carb instillations.

It is on every SOHC 2.0 to 2.3 liter carb engine from 1969 to 1988, and it sits here.

The installed intake manifold prevents it ever coming loose or falling out by itself.

There ws a last OEM Ford reference for it

The last OEM part number Ford gave F0ZZ6A785A or F0ZZ6A785AA. It has a 3/4" hole with tapered fit that just pushes into the hole in the block. It has a spring with a flapper valve inside to dampen the pulses from the crankcase blow by.

It works in conjuction with with a 3/8" internal diameter line to the rubber 1/8 inch by 1 inch grommet where the PCV valve sits.

that holds the common 3/8" hose PCV valve.

Here is how it looks on a 2.3 Lima block in the 1979 Fox Mustang/Fairmont/Zephyr engine bay

It is called a crankcase oil/air separator or a positive crankcase ventilator oil separator.

It helps to relieve the positive pressure that is built up in the crankcase. It is a box having one hose runing in and one running out. One of the hoses that run from it is connected to the PCV valve

Not having the PCV balanced and dampened before its hooked to the any of the Holley Weber or 32/36 and 38 Weber carbs often results in typical PCV jamed oen issues:-

- Oil consumption

- Bad idling

- Knocking engine (atomised oil in the inlet air causes a very low octane)

- Hard to start

- Bad to drive when driving off

- Vacuum leak like symptoms

The Third thing. We are often looking at turbo chargers, EFI or non standard , no longer 1-bbl engines that now have sixes that have totally different crankcase ventilation requirements.

When used, the system has to change to cope with blow by which is now directed into the carb.

The same EAO2.0 /Lima 2.0/2.3 catch can uses a two way system like the Capri RS Turbo, Mustang GT turbo, Mustang SVO and Merkur XR4Ti and Thunderbird Turbo SportsCoupe used from 1983 to 1988. Here is a common after market modification with an extra external catch can and blow by protection.

The early SOHC Limas were designed with a very specfic flapper inside the PCV oil seperator at the block. An OHC four vibrates and thrashes oil around like four rabbit dogs with hyrophobia shoved in a bath. Weber based carbs can't take any major ventilation into the carb itself, so Ford or Europe andDearborn put that flapper system on there to stop oil throughs.

In the Sixes and V8's, Ford just used a top mount PCV valve and a tin gusset under the opening...OHV in liner Sixes, V6's and V8's don't need anything more than a simple
    Covered in Page 69 of

How-to-Modify-Ford-s-o-h-c-Engines-David-Vizard

https://www.scribd.com/doc/26804743/...-Vizard#scribd

Depending on intake. you can use the 1 or 2-bbl Lima intake. D9 is round port, E1 is D port, after 1982, E3 intakes had 1-bbl adaptors.

Under the adaptor, its a similar manifold, so same Race Walsh style alloy plate will do the job.

Or a Holley 2300 sriers or Autolite 2100 or Motorcraft 2150 adpator plate.

See https://fordsix.com//viewtopic.php?f...72863&start=50 for power valve CR

and these on https://fordsix.com//viewtopic.php?f=13&t=72863

Quote Originally Posted by MechRick
    I'll paint the Bronco gray with a red stripe, so the engine ended up in similar colors. I had a long tube header left over from my Pinto project. I was hoping it would fit the Ranger, but #3 tube wanted to occupy the same space as the evaporator plenum. I went back to the wrecking yard and picked up a Ranger shorty to run for now.

The Holley 7448 2 bbl is a V8 carb. It must be modified to work on the 4 cylinder. There are two problems. Vibration, and vacuum signal. Vibration can cause the accelerator pump circuit one way check valve to resonate and pump fuel, even when the throttle isn't moving. The fix is to spring load the ball or pintle under the squirters, or chose a carb that uses the steel check ball instead of the rubber flapper valve in the float bowl. Vacuum signal problems happen with big venturis at wide open throttle and low rpm. The 4 cylinder only has power pulses (and intake pulses) every 180 degrees of crankshaft rotation. At low engine speeds, the air flowing past the venturis can reverse and flow backwards through the carb. With multiple passes through the venturis, the air will pick up fuel each time, causing a rich condition.

Thanks for the info. I'm using an E1 D-port intake and a tiny Autolite 2100 off a 1963 221 V8. The crankcase vent and hose to the pcv valve are stock from the '88 block. I'm used to older Ford's so I'm trying to simplify things. I put a breather on the valve cover where it used to pull in air through the stock air cleaner. I hooked up the pcv to the #1 intake runner. It looks bad but my main concern is having to go up and back down to the intake. It seems like eventually enough oil will pond up on top of the valve to stop it from working.Name:  20180728_175913-1.jpg
Views: 2349
Size:  88.3 KB

The 0.98 2100 Autolite isn't a PCV carb.

The normal flow is from the separator up to the stock Emissions era Autolite, post 1966, they had provision for return to the intake adaptor of the carb.

The AE Wagner adjustable PCV valve works best, but you gonna have to try to use the stock parts "somehow" because a torrent of oil is what OHC's do.

Stock, it was like this 1980 2.3

Stock PCV balance valve is on top of the oil filler.

That's correct. The engine the carb came off of used a road draft tube. I'm using a stock spacer from a '70 302 that has a vacuum port in the back of it. I don't have power brakes so I'd like to run the pcv to that port. Does that sound like it might work? I tried it from the start but my pre-formed crankcase vent to pcv hose wouldn't fit trying to turn it around backwards. I guess I could use regular hose and a couple of elbows. I have an '87 Ranger 2.0 and its pcv comes from the vent, through the valve and into a vacuum port on the front of the intake, that's what got me to thinking it could work running it to the #1 intake runner.

Quote Originally Posted by m81mclaren View Post
    the larger port ........ runs up to the back of air cleaner housing to the port that points towards to the valve cover oil fill. ......

Run the block oil separator to the PCV on top of the rocker cover.

Thenrun the other port to the air cleaber top housing.

I did this on my 500 Holley 2-bbl in line six with open air cleaner. It had a Propane car linked to a Holley 1.38" venturi 2-bbl with a big set of 1.69" throttles.

I ran the stock Impco Gas CA 300 3/8" PCV fitting, just a 90 degree bend you can still get from Impco for dual fuel gasoline and Propane Forklifts and Wharehouse equipement.

Since I 'm guessing you won't be running a clodsed air cleaner any time soon, that can work.

It's kind of backwards, and you MUST run a plate under the oil filler, but the two peg Motorcraft EV68C PCV Valve valve is a stock compenent for some 5.0 4V Mustangs, and all the bigger v8 Trucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-EV.../dp/B000C5FJG8

Essentially, the way it was done on the Aussie Cross Flow 250 was to use the rocker cover as the whole PCV system, which is what all the 200/250 I6 and Small and Big block Ford V8 US engines did.

Two Peg Ford PCV from 1979 onwards should work good to link the partsa you have.

Nice work, incidently.

Thanks for all the information. My carb valve cover only has one hole but I have an EFI cover that has a filler cap and a vent that goes to the upper intake, I might be able to work with that setup. I haven't got a chance to run the motor yet, I'm working out an ignition problem and header clearance at the frame but getting closer. I did notice a small threaded hole on the front of the intake. If this is where the Mustang dipstick bolts the I have the wrong tube all together.Name:  20180804_192035-1.jpg
Views: 2286
Size:  78.4 KB