Close

Default Suggestions on Carpet or Not

I am building a 79 Zephyr wagon for the street and track. It will have Mustang buckets instead of the bench seat and a six or eight point roll cage. My question is what type of floor covering do you suggest? Do I install carpet or is there a better alternative floor covering? The back floor of the wagon should match the drivers area.

FEP Super Member

Carpet .just my opinion, as there is nothing worse than having that metal tub / hollow sound when driving .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Thanks for the suggestion. If I go with carpet I’ll install sound deadening insulation. Definitely do not want a bare metal floor.

FEP Super Member

Perfect
    I had nothing else to add , but cant reply with just one word .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

I had the same debate with my coupe. I did not want a bare metal floor, but neither did I want carpet. I thought about having Rhino liner or similar coating sprayed on, but ended up going with a custom made vinyl mat from ACC. I contacted them to ask about the options and was told as long as they make a carpet for the model, they can make it in any material they carry. I went with black vinyl and was able to order it locally through The Mustang Shop. It came with the felt underpad which I did not use. I did use dynamat on the floor to dampen the noise and heat though.

FEP Supporter

You can special order heavy vinyl floor mats from ACC instead of carpet also. Not sure about Wagons but Ed put one in his "Street Legal Auto Crosser" 79 coupe.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...l-auto-crosser

I cannot find the post and I couldn't find a good pic in there but he has on

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    I had the same debate with my coupe. I did not want a bare metal floor, but neither did I want carpet. I thought about having Rhino liner or similar coating sprayed on, but ended up going with a custom made vinyl mat from ACC. I contacted them to ask about the options and was told as long as they make a carpet for the model, they can make it in any material they carry. I went with black vinyl and was able to order it locally through The Mustang Shop. It came with the felt underpad which I did not use. I did use dynamat on the floor to dampen the noise and heat though.
    Hah, you posted while I was looking for your post

We need to get together soon!

The vinyl mat suggestion is exactly what I was looking for. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Hah, you posted while I was looking for your post

We need to get together soon!
    Yes we do.

I think you can also buy the materials from them which might work for the rear of the wagon and go with the molded mat for the passenger area (assuming they make it).

Carpet is great when new. Carpet and pad insulate from temperature and noise.
    High maintenance in a daily driver. Carpet collects everything, especially black color.
    Water finds its way on and eventually thru old carpet.
    Drink spills, water leaks, In the north, snow melt from shoes.
    Soaks into carpet and saturates padding, which sucks up and retains water.
    Floor pan rusts being in constant contact with saturated padding. Never dries once soaked. Mold?

Painted and treated bare floor pans work fine here. Pan rust in check now being dry.
    Added rubber sheet underlay used in new cars. Easily lifted for inspection.
    Shower pan vinyl will work too. Either catch water and keep it away from pan.
    Easy to towel up.
    Anything shifts and wedges under gas pedal if not secured.
    I use rubber floor mats on top of the rubber sheets and reposition as necessary.
    No carpeting on front floors.
    Did add regular carpet sections to the sides of rockers and console sides for visual look.
    Rarely used back seat floor, seat back platform, area and hatch area are fully carpeted.

Cheap auto carpet rolls, found in stores, is junk. Backing turns to sand.
    OK if cut to size of footwell, left loose, and easily replaced when trashed.